436 112 [was Cargo Re 4/4 II stored ]

Martin Baumann

436 (430) 111 114 115 have gone on lease to SBB Cargo. The advantage of leasing these rather than reactivating stored Re 4/4 II is that the ex RM locos all have ETCS

csipromo

Will they retain their red liveries or will they be repainted in SBB colours?

Probably retain Crossrail livery unless SBB decides to purchase them. Even then they may not get repainted as recent R3 overhauls, which in the past have meant an automatic repaint, have seen the locos not touched.

gordonwis

Indeed, as they will no doubt be used on pretty much the same axes as they have been employed on in the last few years, so SBB Cargo benefits from 'ready to run' locos without having to 'lift a finger'

csipromo

I am still trying to figure out exactly how this Crossrail deal is going to work. From what I understood, SBBCI was assuming the operation of the company in Switzerland and in Italy, while operations in Germany and Belgium will continue to be operated by Rhenus Group.

Does this automatically mean that SBBCI will assume the ongoing transport of transalpine shipments or will Rhenus and it's partners/affiliates (LKW Walter) be able to negotiate with the Swiss partner of their choice?

I have not seen much publicly released info about changes at the Rhenus/LKW Walter end of things.

Am 26.03.2017 um 06:49 schrieb csipromo@yahoo.com [SwissRail]:
I have not seen much publicly released info about changes at the
Rhenus/LKW Walter end of things.
Information is very sparse and you can't expect that more will come. Only thing that is clear: Crossrail has signed a contract with SBBIN to operate the trains through Switzerland. SBBIN appears as RU within Switzerland. No other details of this contract are known. But this contract does not replace existing contracts of Crossrail with other RUs.

You can still ask many questions but you won't get answers...

From what I can understand, in 2015, Crossrail was taken over by Rhenus Group, who controlled 50.1% of the company. The remaining shares were in the hands of Hupac, Jeroen Lejeune, LKW Walter, Bertschi MSC and GTS (Italy). In early 2016, the company needed a cash infusion to handle losses and this recapitulation resulted in the shares of Rhenus Group and LKW Walter increasing, while others were reduced to zero. As a result of their decision not to contribute to the recapitulation, Hupac, LeJeune, Bertschi, MSC and GTS found their investment reduced to next to nothing, which effectively left Crossrail in the hands of Rhenus Group (75%) and LKW Walter (25%).

One of the consequences of the change in the relationship between Hupac, Bertschi, MSC and others and Crossrail, some container traffic was assigned to other operators (SBBC and BLS). The remaining operations were conducted by Crossrail as previously.

In early 2017, Crossrail ceded it's Swiss and Italian operations to SBBCI, which will handle transport south of Basel to points in Italy. Rhenus will focus on traffic from Antwerp and other northwestern points to Basel and I presume that Crossrail will be brought into a closer alliance with other existing Rhenus Group operations, but specifics have yet to be released.

I don't know the specifics of the deal, as far as who paid whom and how much money was transferred to finalize the deal.

It is all very confusing, seeing that Hupac owns 25% of SBBCI, but SBB Cargo owns just under 24% of Hupac, so who really owns who?

Am 27.03.2017 um 02:31 schrieb csipromo@yahoo.com [SwissRail]:
In early 2017, Crossrail ceded it's Swiss and Italian operations to SBBCI
From what I understood, Crossrail contracted with SBBIN, not SBBCI

SBBCI = SBB Cargo Italia S.r.l.
SBBIN = SBB Cargo International AG

Markus, G�rbetal

csipromo

Sorry, I used the abbreviation SBBCI to refer to SBB Cargo International. In the future, I will make sure to differentiate between SBB Cargo Int and SBB Cargo Italia and use the accepted abbreviations.

Back to your earlier post, you mention that the Crossrail workings in CH are referred to as RU. What exactly is RU?

Am 27.03.2017 um 21:42 schrieb csipromo@yahoo.com [SwissRail]:
and use the accepted abbreviations.
These abbreviations are officially registered as Vehicle Keeper Markings
(VKM), the European equivalent of the AAR reporting marks. A monthly
updated list can be found here:
<http://www.era.europa.eu/Document-Register/Pages/list-VKM.aspx>

Back to your earlier post, you mention that the Crossrail workings in
CH are referred to as RU. What exactly is RU?
RU = Railway Undertaking, in German EVU = Eisenbahnverkehrsunternehmen
This is the company formally in charge for a train, in the UK also called an open access operator. The company must have the necessary licences and safety certificates to run trains. The RU will have to pay the track access charge (TAC) and this is the company who "owns" a slot defined by a train number.

So the slots that CROSS had reserved were passed over to SBBIN. In other words, CROSS does no longer work as RU in Switzerland.

All the contracts behind an RU are a "private affair", meaning that the authorities will only know the RU. This is also why each RU must have a liability insurance.

The minimum of an RU is a manager with a licence. He can lease or hire a locomotive, contract a service company to provide drivers, contract an other service company for train preparation and the paperwork and with this pull a train of an operator in combined traffic from border to border...

Markus, G�rbetal

csipromo

Thanks for the information. I thought that you meant some kind of code that the Crossrail runnings had been assigned, AFAIR the VKM for Crossrail had been XRAIL in Germany and Belgium, Cross in Switzerland and XRI in Italy. I was wondering whether the RU that had changed to a new marking.

WRS posted a message yesterday about 430 112: It is currently being used for cereal trains from St Margrethen to Basel. They intend to repaint the loco blue in due course.

They will be leasing three more Re 430 from April 1st but they do not specifiy if this will be the remaining three ex RM locos currently being used by SBB-C.

( https://www.facebook.com/widmer.rail.services/ can be read without login )