RhB Photo Locations Guide?

co90221

Hello,

I was curious if there were any sites that had a guide for good photo locations on the RhB.

Thank you!

-Adam

glenn allen

Hello,
I was curious if there were any sites that had a guide for good photo locations on the RhB.
-Adam
The Swiss Railways Society sell a book on the RhB which could help.

http://www.swissrailsoc.org.uk/on_line_shop.html

You can also use Googleearth with the photos switched on plus the ground level view option to show some decent places.
In a nutshell. Almost anywhere, just depends on what you want in the background.

Guerbetaler

I think Georg Trüb found a very special photo location here:
<http://www.railpictures.net/photo/661466/>
<http://www.railpictures.net/photo/661485/>

However, you can never take a full train at that spot. :-)

On Mon, 18/6/18, Guerbetaler <guerbetaler@sunrise.ch> wrote:
I think Georg Trüb found a very special photo location here:

Indeed he did. Excellent!

Clive Dean

And the location is ...?

Chris Wood

There is a small map after both photographs. If you click on 'view larger map' this opens out into Google Maps with the location tagged.

Guerbetaler

Am 19.06.2018 um 09:43 schrieb Clive Dean:
And the location is ...?
Please read the caption. It's in English!

Am 19.06.2018 um 16:19 schrieb Chris Wood via Groups.Io:
There is a small map after both photographs. If you click on 'view
larger map' this opens out into Google Maps with the location
tagged.
Forget about Google! They ignore railways.

Better take the official Swiss maps map.geo.admin.ch or open streetamp.

<https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=de&topic=ech&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisstopo.zeitreihen,ch.bfs.gebaeude_wohnungs_register,ch.bav.haltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visibility=false,false,false,false&layers_timestamp=18641231,,,&E=2774817&N=1174633&zoom=13&crosshair=marker>

Forget about Google! They ignore railways.
Not sure that's quite true, as they have just started showing station platforms, which has already been of help to me planning my next trip.

Guerbetaler

Forget about Google! They ignore railways.
Not sure that's quite true, as they have just started showing station
platforms, which has already been of help to me planning my next
trip.
They may show railway stations, but they ignore railways.

Markus, Gürbetal

Chris Wood

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 02:21 pm, Guerbetaler wrote:

Forget about Google! They ignore railways.

Better take the official Swiss maps map.geo.admin.ch or open streetamp.
Sorry, Markus, but I don't see a link to the SwissTopo maps on the railpictures web site. My apologies if it is there and I've missed it, but if it isn't how exactly is Clive supposed to find out the location of the photo using the SwissTopo maps?.

I appreciate that if he already knows the location he can look that location up on the SwissTopo maps, and that they do give a better representation of railways. But that wasn't the question he asked.

Guerbetaler

Am 26.06.2018 um 14:52 schrieb Chris Wood via Groups.Io:
Sorry, Markus, but I don't see a link to the SwissTopo maps on the
railpictures web site. My apologies if it is there and I've missed
it, but if it isn't how exactly is Clive supposed to find out the
location of the photo using the SwissTopo maps?.
Hi Chris, in my original mail I gave the link to the Swisstopo map:

Am 19.06.2018 um 23:21 schrieb Markus:
Forget about Google! They ignore railways.

Better take the official Swiss maps map.geo.admin.ch or open
streetamp.

<https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=de&topic=ech&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisstopo.zeitreihen,ch.bfs.gebaeude_wohnungs_register,ch.bav.haltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visibility=false,false,false,false&layers_timestamp=18641231,,,&E=2774817&N=1174633&zoom=13&crosshair=marker>

Markus

Clive Dean

I could only see the photo on my screen and didn't scroll down at all, so
didn't know there was a map below. But I do now. Interesting location and
a walk that is on my bucket list should I manage to stay for a few days at
the campsite at Davos Glaris.

gordonwis

On Tue, 26/6/18, Chris Wood via Groups.Io <chris_j_wood=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I appreciate that if he already knows the location he can look that location up on
the SwissTopo maps, and that they do give a better representation of railways.
But that wasn't the question he asked.
To look up the location on Swiss Topo, from a photo on Railpictures.net, one can copy the lat. and long. co-ordinates from the google map on Railpictures, and paste same co-ordinates into Swiss Topo map search