RhB Historic Trains - How to tell if Crocodile?

co90221

I was planning to ride the historic train on the RhB this Sunday the 24th, but I see now their website says it is possible the train my instead be pulled by a Ge 4/4 I. Is it possible to know in advance which locomotive will be pulling the train?

Thank you,

Adam

gordonwis

No it is not possible.
A croc is not guaranteed I'm afraid, as has been mentioned on this group in the recent past, but as a reminder, here is a heads up regarding RhB Croc (Ge6/6I) workings:

Essentially, none are guaranteed.

Firstly it is worth remembering that since the demise of 412 10 years ago, there are only two operable Crocs surviving to choose from and they are old, high maintenance machines and are indeed pulled out for maintenance quite regularly. The latest list suggests 415 may be sidelined for some time, leaving only 414 in use, as 415 was listed as 'out of service for revision' as at 12 June 2018

And a personal experience from last August (2017), a Croc turn that was officially re-advertised by RhB as Ge4/4I due to the aforementioned regular maintenance of the Croc actually turned up as a Ge6/6II

Beware also the subtleties of the diagramming and advertising, viz:

The Albula Experience train website blurb does not specifically mention Croc haulage (only the 'library picture' shows a Croc).

The new Davos - Filisur regular trains are like a 'plandampf' - and the Croc is (theoretically) booked - Turn 901 in the RhB loco diagrams (though again, the diagrams show 'Historische Lok' not specifically Croc).

The Albula Experience seems to be categorised as a 'special' so not shown in the loco diagrams, hence the possibility of any loco being put out.

Martin Baumann

The RhB website now says Ge 4/4 I until 29.06 inclusive

glenn allen

During the period 19th to 29th June the expected loco is a Ge4/4I, as per the info on the website.
https://www.rhb.ch/de/erlebniswelt-bahn/dampf-nostalgiefahrten/historische-fahrten
The historic train compositions operate between Davos Platz and Filisur twice per day according to the timetable. Changes to the train composition are reserved. A use of the locomotive Ge 4/4 I (BoBo 1) is partially possible (expected on 15 and 19 - 29 June 2018

gordonwis

I think what RhB is essentially saying is that it reserves the right to modify the train composition, and the use of a Ge4/4I instead of a Croc is possible at any time, but probable/expected until 29 June

Perhaps RhB has decided to try and ensure that the Croc is rostered in the peak summer period July - August

Martin Baumann

The trains are being worked by 602 Ge 4/4 I today