RhB in next decade

Toma Bacic

Hello all!
I am contemplating about the RhB in next decade: the infrastructure, the
services and the rolling stock. First of all, what rolling stock will
disappear and which loco-hauled services will survive. When the RTZ
Capricorn EMUs will be delivered?

Also, where the frequency of the services will be increased; and by which
rolling stock?

Finally, how the infrastructure improvements (doubling Thusis – Sils and
Bever – Samedan, new Hinterrheinbrücke, new Albula tunnel) will affect the
services?

Any details? Thank you and regards…!
Toma

--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+385 (0) 98 81 55 61
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Zagreb

Heléna Moretti

Hello Toma,

First of all, what rolling stock will disappear and which loco-hauled services will survive.

Over the next ten years we have a clear idea that some services are destined to become multiple units. Disentis-Chur-Scuol Tarasp will be a great loss and in the short term whilst units are delivered, there will be a mix of loco-hauled (like on the Landquart-Davos services) but eventually it will all be units. The Chur-St Moritz may retain some hauled sets for longer but the plan ultimately will be to have all passenger services in the hands of units, including the Glacier Express, eventually.

Infrastructure improvements to the Chur-St Moritz line may allow twice hourly services to commence in peak times. Initially, some of these may be loco-hauled but the inevitable progression is towards all units. In terms of the locomotive fleet, the surviving Ge4/4’ will be the first to go followed by the older batch of Ge4/4” and Ge6/6”. I expect in 10 years the Ge4/4”’ will be the only locomotives with regular passenger work and there will be a small fleet of Ge4/4” for freight with a sizeable amount of freight handled by Allegra units.

I hate it, but economics and customer expectations will drive it that way.

Regards
Helena

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am contemplating about the RhB in next decade: the infrastructure, the
services and the rolling stock. First of all, what rolling stock will
disappear and which loco-hauled services will survive. When the RTZ
Capricorn EMUs will be delivered?

Also, where the frequency of the services will be increased; and by which
rolling stock?

Finally, how the infrastructure improvements (doubling Thusis – Sils and
Bever – Samedan, new Hinterrheinbrücke, new Albula tunnel) will affect the
services?

Any details? Thank you and regards…!
Toma

--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+385 (0) 98 81 55 61
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Zagreb

Guerbetaler

Am 24.06.2018 um 10:42 schrieb Toma Bacic:
First of all, what rolling stock will disappear and which loco-hauled
services will survive. When the RTZ Capricorn EMUs will be
delivered?
It is necessary to think in different categories here. Basically all trains will be fixed units consisting of EMUs or of locomotive plus coaches and driving trailer. Additional coaches will include a driving trailer. Exceptions will be the Bernina line and the Glacier Express. On the Albula line, a Ge 4/4 III and an Allegra roughly pull the same load. But on the Bernina line in 7% grades the Allegras have a clear advantage with 8 motorized axles.

loco hauled: GEX (Ge 4/4")
EMU hauled: Bernina, including BEX (Allegra)
units: all other lines (Capricorn, Allegra, Allegra + driving trailer,
Ge 4/4 III + driving trailer, Ge 4/4 II + driving trailer

Only Ge 4/4 II of the second series get the necessary equipment to work dual braked trains. So we must think of Ge 4/4" 611-620 as freight locomotives or even as surplus equipment. It will be interesting to see, if 701-707 will be replaced by 611-620 or not. From an energetic point of view, 701-707 are better! Other surplus equipent includes the 511-516 EMUs and all EW I. It was thought to keep the short EW I but it seems that they encounter the problems we heard of Aluminum coaches elsewhere. All short EW II, EW III, EW IV and Panoramas are needed for pulled consists over the Bernina. The long EW II and EW IV, the Alvras, the 14 new driving trailers and low floor driving trailers 1751-58 are the equipment used together with Ge 4/4 II, III and Allegras.

Also, where the frequency of the services will be increased; and by
which rolling stock?
The number of EMUs on order includes those needed for half hourly services.

Finally, how the infrastructure improvements (doubling Thusis – Sils
and Bever – Samedan, new Hinterrheinbrücke, new Albula tunnel) will
affect the services?
These improvements are necessary to reach a better stability of the
timetable, which is the starting point to introduce half hourly service.
Some additional investments may be necessary. But by introducing train
splitting in Klosters, the number of trains between Landquart and
Klosters will not increase, avoiding some investments in infrastructure.

Am 24.06.2018 um 17:26 schrieb Heléna Moretti via Groups.Io:
but the plan ultimately will be to have all passenger services in the
hands of units, including the Glacier Express, eventually.
MGB is starting a modernization program to maintain 9 HGe 4/4" for another 20 or 30 years. Nine units cover the needs of GEX, car shuttle trains and Zermatt freights.

In terms of infrastructure, the new double track sections don't make a huge difference, they just continue the policy of having more double track sections, and 'extended loops' all of which help to keep existing trains on time (as can be witnessed at Thusis and Filisur).

The Hinterrheinbrucke doubling eliminates the single track bottleneck between Reichenau Tamins and the split of the Disentis and Thusis lines which has the obvious benefit of 'keeping the two routes apart' and thus easing conflicts in the area.

The Bever - Samedan doubling will have a similar effect with Albula line and the Engadine line, so for example the superb parade of trains both ways I have photographed at Bever on three occasions over the last 2 years (8 trains 11.16 - 12.16) would not be like it is now when each one has to wait for the next and 'lowest priority' (in this case the Albula tunnel freight feeder with Ge4/4I) sits patiently at Samedan awaiting for a path .

The Sils extension will help crossing trains keep to time as the existing extended loop at the Sils end of Thusis even now doesn't always keep trains on time

Toma Bacic

Thank you very much for your answers!

The number of EMUs on order includes those needed for half hourly services.
On which lines RhB is going to introduce half hurly services; and when?

But by introducing train splitting in Klosters, the number of trains
between Landquart and
Klosters will not increase, avoiding some investments in infrastructure.
But, doubling is also planed between Landquart and Malans, correct?

regards
toma