BVB

Bill Bolton

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 07:51:45 -0700, John Lovda wrote:

I wonder if the train driver has to use the horn
That's in Bex, and from my experience riding there, the answer is no!

gordonwis

On Thursday, 16 April 2020, 20:55:33 BST, John Lovda wrote:
I wonder if the train driver has to use the horn a lot
No. Street railways operate in the same way as urban tramways. No warning sound used unless needed.

I've travelled this line many times. The Bex town street section of the Bex - Villars - Bretaye railway was used by both 'through' trains and a local town service considered as an urban tramway (table 6 in the Swiss Kursbuch was labelled 'Tramway local Bex- Bévieux') with regular service until 2002, using small tram vehicles.

gordonwis

Indeed, more 'boring' new infrastructure - all the 'character' of such things is going as time moves on

Mick Sasse

The BVB is indeed a fine little railway, with a large amount of variety within its very modest length: a recommended day out!

Bit of a shame the traditional street boarding outside the mainline CFF station is to be abandoned, but I guess that's inevitable as it's anything but level boarding at present!

Mick

Guerbetaler

Am 16.04.2020 um 16:51 schrieb John Lovda via groups.io:
Speaking of narrow gauge interurban trains, I found this photo on
FLICKR. I have no connection to the photographer. I wonder if the
train driver has to use the horn a lot weaving around narrow streets?
No, he has to drive carefully. It's a very similar situation in Aigle, also with TPC, but a bit narrower.

BTW Bex railway station with its unique track arrangement is currently undergoing heavy rebuilds to become a modern and comfortalbe interchange like Aigle. Pictures like these will no longer be possible:

<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Bex_railway_station>

Speaking of narrow gauge interurban trains, I found this photo on FLICKR. I have no connection to the photographer. I wonder if the train driver has to use the horn a lot weaving around narrow streets? Another little interesting place to visit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/185213389@N06/49536705666/in/faves-79976134@N07/

John