Zürich - Basel and Zürich Bern before the Heitersberg tunnel

gordonwis

Did many trains use the Nationalbahn, or did they mostly come through Baden?
Hi Andrew,

All trains used the old main line Bern - Burgdorf - Langenthal - Aarburg Oftringen - Olten - Aarau - Schinznach Bad - Brugg - Baden - Wettingen Zurich. I did it many times pre-Heitersberg, and on my first Swiss visit after the opening I boarded a Swiss Express at Zurich for the first time on a Swiss Express, and I wrote in my notes "this *is* train travel".

Fond memories, I was on the way back from my English Midlands mining town's Scout group coach trip to Austria. Despite being only 15 yo I had so much more experience of driving in Europe that I had been the self appointed navigator for the whole road trip! So on the way back I navigated the driver to Museumstrasse alongside Zurich HB and jumped off to take the train to my family in Geneva, leaving the others to go back to the English Midlands in the 53 seater Plaxton Panorama...

csipromo

I seem to remember travelling Zurich - Baden - Brugg - Aarau - Olten - Burgdorf - Bern. First time was a RBe 4/4. The second time was a Re 4/4II of the first series. From Zurich to Richterswil, it was an Ae 4/7.

I remember my dad pointing out places along the way he had been during his earlier time in Switzerland (1939-48).

Regards

Mike CC

gordonwis

[...]

Max Wyss

And the worst was the 40 km/h switch at Aarburg-Oftringen… A full length Swiss-Express trainset spent a lot of time there…

Max

Martin Baumann

Before 31.05.1981 all Zürich-Bern trains ran on the Olten-Luzern line as far as Aarburg-Oftringen and then to Rothrist (the route still taken by local trains) . The "Bornlinie" reduced the Olten-Rothrist distance by 1048m and made it faster as the new line is partly 140 km/h

Guerbetaler

Am 20.10.2020 um 14:22 schrieb Andrew Moglestue via groups.io:
Did many trains use the Nationalbahn, or did they mostly come through Baden?
AFAIK no trains used the Nationalbahn. I had never been on that line before the opening of the Heitersberg.

In 1981 - before Taktfahrplan - there was a Städteschnellzug roughly every two hours nonstop Bern - Zürich taking 79 min. About 7 train pairs called at Lenzburg, most of them to/from Biel/Bienne (-Lausanne-Genéve)

All other fast trains still went through Baden. That were 34 fast trains on a weekday, leaving from Zürich HB between 0446 and 2320!

Not too impressing. ;-)

Markus, Gürbetal

Andrew Moglestue

I was recently musing on how the Swiss railway system was before the Heitersberg tunnel was completed.

I guess everything between Zürich and Basel / Bern and further west would have had to come through Wettingen. That is quite difficult to imagine nowadays.

Did many trains use the Nationalbahn, or did they mostly come through Baden?

I sometimes catch the S12 in Wettingen and have observed that one major weakness of the track layout is that trains coming from Baden and going onto tracks 1,2 and 3 need to cross the main line and this sometimes leads to delays.

I wonder if back in the day when there were many more freights needing to be looped, that this would have been a bigger problem.