SOB (ex BT) Re 4/4

Martin Baumann

The remaining two locos, 093 and 096, have been bought by BRM Holdings (Gleisbau Müller, who already operate 456 111 ex VHB 142)

They were transferred today. and taken to Frauenfeld

Martin Baumann

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 12:16 PM, Martin Baumann wrote:

Now confirmed that SZU got 091 092, unknown if for parts or use
SZU have issued a statement about their acquisitions: "The locos were primarily acquired to provide spare parts.. It is possible that they will be put into service 'elsewhere' but not in passenger service" [They are not compatible with SZU 42 to 47 or their coaches]

Guerbetaler

Am 29.01.2021 um 17:26 schrieb csipromo via groups.io:
I would like to know more about what exactly KTU meant. Did it only apply to the Re 4/4 (456)?
I know that in the case of the BDe 4/4, those were known as the EAV Triebwagen (Eidgenössischen Amt für Verkehr).
KTU means Konzessionierte Transportunternehmen = concessioned transport companies. Now it is important to know that at that time SBB didn't have a concession. So, in other words, KTU-Lok meant "not-SBB-Lok".

After rail reform of 1999 SBB became an independent entity and also got a concession. On the other hand, freight railway companies no longer need a concession and are thus no longer KTUs.

When the class numbers came up, Re 456 replaced any other designation.

Designation EAV-Triebwagen was chosen because that office was involved in financing and coordinationg the order for the twelve (A)BDe 4/4, distributed over 5 companies. Two years later the "Hochleistungstriebwagen" BT/SOB/EBT/VHB BDe 4/4 arrived and this order had also been coordinated by the EAV. But they already had a name, as SOB and BT had purchased such vehicles before.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAV-Triebwagen
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hochleistungstriebwagen_(Schweiz)

Markus, Gürbetal

Mick Sasse

I believe that "KTU-Loks" was purely a shorthand or nickname because the locos had been ordered by "KTUs", which itself is just another (and more accurate really!) term for what are better (but slightly misleadingly, at least to British ears!) known as "Privatbahnen".

As I understand it, that's really all their is to it in the context of this loco class - but as ever I stand to be corrected!

Mick

csipromo

The Re 456 were originally known as Re 4/4 KTU (Konzessionierte Transport-Unternehmungen) according to Wikipedia.
If I remember correctly, BT ordered 6 and SZU ordered 2. A later follow up order for an additional 4 from the SZU also saw VHB order 2 of this class.

The BT Loks were rebranded when the BT merged with the SOB in 2002. They were soon joined by the pair of former VHB Loks, which were leased from the BLS after it acquired the RM (EBT/VHB/SMB) and determined that it did not need those two Loks. The former RM Loks were used primarily for freight and coach transfer operations, as they were not equipped for operation with the SOB's pendelzug coaches.

As was stated, the Re 4/4 KTU served as the prototype for the SBB Re 450 Series. It also played a key role in the development of narrow gauge Loks of the Rhaetische Bahn and the MOB (Ge 4/4III)

I would like to know more about what exactly KTU meant. Did it only apply to the Re 4/4 (456)?
I know that in the case of the BDe 4/4, those were known as the EAV Triebwagen (Eidgenössischen Amt für Verkehr).
Was KTU a grouping put together specifically for the Re 4/4 purchase or did it function in other aspects/acquisitions as well?
From what I recall, I don't remember running into KTU associated with any other locomotives or rolling stock.

Am 28.01.2021 um 22:47 schrieb Martin Baumann:
Link has something wrong with it.
The link doesn't have something wrong with it, but groups.io online viewer isn't able to handle the convention, that < > are used as delimiters for links in text-only messages. Thunderbird is perfectly able to work with that. Both versions lead to the site:

1) https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLM_Re_456

2) <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLM_Re_456>

But groups.io shows the second link as ending with ...456> wich is wrong. It should only be ...456

I don't know how other programs handle it. In the past we had problems, when the delimiter wasn't there, but maybe tha't no longer a problem. May I ask members, if anyone has problems with version 1)? If not, we could in the future work without the delimiter and only use version 2)

Press release from DSF (German)

https://www.dsf-koblenz.ch/index.php/30-04/04-0/424-re-456

They plan to return one loco to the original BT colours and use the other for parts

Am 28.01.2021 um 19:32 schrieb Markus:
Re 456 SOB (ex BT) were delivered directly to BT (and SZU and VHB).
For details of all 14 locomotives see Wikipedia

<https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLM_Re_456>
(not available in English, so far)

Markus, Gürbetal

Mick Sasse

Thanks!

davey

Check the SOB FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/suedostbahn/

[https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/lookaside/crawler/media/?media_id=284171348430208]<https://www.facebook.com/suedostbahn/>
Schweizerische Südostbahn AG - Home | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/suedostbahn/>
Schweizerische Südostbahn AG, St. Gallen (Saint Gallen). 4,816 likes · 625 talking about this · 37 were here. Die Schweizerische Südostbahn AG (SOB) ist ein eigenständiges, in der Ost- und...
www.facebook.com

Guerbetaler

Am 28.01.2021 um 13:18 schrieb Mick Sasse:
Forgive what might be a slightly silly question: are these the former
SOB Re 4/4 IVs?
No, The Re 4/4 IV became Re 446 and were SOB (es SOB)

Re 456 SOB (ex BT) were delivered directly to BT (and SZU and VHB). They are, for the electric gear, predecessors to Re 450.

Markus, Gürbetal

Mick Sasse

Forgive what might be a slightly silly question: are these the former SOB Re 4/4 IVs?

Thanks!
Mick

Martin Baumann

Now confirmed that SZU got 091 092, unknown if for parts or use. They moved to Zürich today.

DSF will get 094 095 They are only the vehicle keeper ("Halter") for these two which are now privately owned. They moved to Balsthal for storage today.

Martin Baumann

Without specifying individual numbers SOB today reported that 2 locos are going to SZU, 2 to DSF and 2 are still for sale