Re 460 108 Query

csipromo

In the photo posted here: https://bahnbilder.ch/picture/40363 there is a difference in the red paint of the main body and the lower edge of the roof section
The paint lines up at the far end but seems offset on the left side (closest).
Would this be a replacement roof or was this some kind of paint error?

The original photo: https://bahnbilder.ch/pictures/original/40363.jpg

Andrew Moglestue

To me it seems that the different colour is just an artefact of the light, and the different angle of the painted surface.

The different gray shades of the roof coverings, on the other hand, may be due to panels having being changed out.

Just my opinion of course.

Ewan Tait

On 26 Apr 2021, at 12:29, Andrew Moglestue via groups.io <amogles=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

To me it seems that the different colour is just an artefact of the light, and the different angle of the painted surface.

The different gray shades of the roof coverings, on the other hand, may be due to panels having being changed out.
Andrew, Mike,

The cab roof and the roof panel are quite different colours, and there is definitely a difference the hight of the red between the roof panel and each cab, with one cab lining up and the other not.

These two photos were taken a few days after it came out of Works.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40826712@N00/31579649070/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/40826712@N00/31143685113/

In the sun, the different shades at one end are quite marked.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/maccookie/49278875421/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/maccookie/24982935278/

Looking at my original photos, I think the issue is that the red hasn’t been painted high enough on one cab. It’s meant to contour over the cab window and then up above the side window and cab door to meet the line running parallel with the grills, but one one end it is straight above the cab window and cab door so doesn’t meet the roof line below the grills.

Looking at a pre-refurb photo, the red was correct above both cabs.

Cheers,
Ewan

--
http://ewan.me.uk

Guerbetaler

I can't see different reds and support Andrews post;

Am 26.04.2021 um 13:29 schrieb Andrew Moglestue via groups.io:

To me it seems that the different colour is just an artefact of the
light, and the different angle of the painted surface.
The different gray shades of the roof coverings, on the other hand,
may be due to panels having being changed out.

Alan McMillan

That slight colour difference looks like an illusion caused by the angle that section of the loco presents to the light.

csipromo

I'm still not sure about the colours, but the roof section seems ill fitted in this photo too:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/maccookie/49278875421/
and is uneven in this one too: https://www.flickr.com/photos/40826712@N00/31143685113/

Is it possible that the roof section would be swapped out with another locomotive during maintenance, leading to the paint lines not matching 100%?
It would seem to me that the paint would be applied while the locomotive was assembled and not painted as parts, but I may be wrong.