Gais - Altstätten Stadt (was Re: Less travelled narrow gauge trains)

Mick Sasse

Another reason to do Altstätten - Gais, beyond its inherent interest, is that it is, very unfortunately, threatened with closure too. (To my mind the section from Altstätten SBB to Altstätten Stadt should never have closed - the walk is actually quite tedious and doubtles the need for that walk or double interchange via bus does not help the railway's attractiveness!)

gordonwis

On Friday, 24 September 2021, 09:39:10 BST, Mick Sasse <micksasse@gmail.com> wrote:
(To my mind the section from Altstätten SBB to Altstätten Stadt should never have closed - the walk is actually quite tedious and doubtles the need for that walk or double interchange via bus does not help the railway's attractiveness!)
I agree it's a pity the connection closed, and I found it a really irritating hassle last time I did the whole route but this is one of the situations when railway enthusiasm doesn't necessarily equate with easy local politics of economics. With the best will in the world the line is tangential and not in a hotbed tourist area or area of great population, two of the things that might keep other Swiss lines above water. The link was also complicated in terms of ownership arrangements. It doesn't help that the train takes The link closed in the 'closure phase' of the late 1960s - early 1970s period when a number of lines succumbed and a number of others only survived by the skin of their teeth.

Guerbetaler

Am 25.09.2021 um 01:43 schrieb gordonwis via groups.io:
I agree it's a pity the connection closed [...]It doesn't help that the train takes The link closed in the 'closure> phase' of the late 1960s - early 1970s period when a number of lines succumbed and a number of others only survived by the skin of their teeth.
It is certain that the existence of a rail link to Altstätten railway
station would double the chance of a survival of this line, as it is a
really quick connection from Appenzell to Buchs, Sargans and Chur and
v/v. It is now too often that the connection to the bus isn't reached in
Altstätten Stadt.

It can currently generate a certain number of rides transporting cycles
and sledges and attracting travellers with the open coach.

For now we can say that it will survive as long the existing motor
coaches 16 and 17 carry on and that might be until the 2030ies

The link was also complicated in terms of ownership arrangements.
This wouldnt be a problem today but helped to close the line!

I was planning on taking this route. There was a great YouTube video going downhill (southwest direction) in the rack section. You have now thrown a little wrench into the mix. I did not know the SBB station and Appenzeller Bahn station are not in the same place. How far is the distance? Is it hilly, flat? Is there a local bus? Would I be better off taking a dead end ride to Altstätten from the west and then head back? Are there any other separated stations in this region?

Thanks

Guerbetaler

Am 30.09.2021 um 01:44 schrieb John Lovda via groups.io:
I was planning on taking this route. There was a great YouTube video
going downhill (southwest direction) in the rack section. You have
now thrown a little wrench into the mix. I did not know the SBB
station and Appenzeller Bahn station are not in the same place. How
far is the distance? Is it hilly, flat? Is there a local bus? Would I
be better off taking a dead end ride to Altstätten from the west and
then head back? Are there any other separated stations in this
region?
You can find the timetables for Altstätten Stadt - Altstätten SG (the railway station) in the online timetables. There is a bus connecting with AB, but if the train is late, the bus is gone. It's possible to wlk the distance but it's about 20 min.

Markus, Gürbetal

Bill Bolton

On Wed, 29 Sep 2021 16:44:18 -0700, John Lovda wrote:

I did not know the SBB station and Appenzeller Bahn
station are not in the same place. How far is the distance?
It's probably about a 25 minute walk from Altstätten Stadt to
Altstätten Bahnhof, IIRC.

Would I be better off taking a dead end ride to Altstätten from
the west and then head back?
That's what we did in 2017. The downhill and uphill views are quite
different.

Cheers,

Bill