glenn allen

From: Rob
I wonder if anyone can help?  I'm off to the Rhätische Bahn next week, and I'm quite well gened up on RhB stuff.  What I don't know anything about is the standard gauge where it mixes from Landquart - Chur - Ems Werk.  Is there any booked freight?  Anything that reliably works to a timetable?  I'd like to get some photos of the narrow gauge and standard gauge together, but in all the times I've been to the RhB I can't recall seeing anything on the standard gauge beyond Chur.
The graphic timetable is here:
https://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/fap_pdf_graphic_tt/2021/GRhB5.pdf

6xxxx numbers are pathways for standard gauge freights, however, they are just that. No guarantee that there will be trains at those times. I’ve only seen a couple of freights on that section of line. They were around lunchtime.

Glenn

Rob Bishop

Thanks Glenn. I have the train graphs, but I hadn't realised that was what the 6XXXX numbers were. At least I'll be able to keep an eye out if I'm in the right area at the times of any of the paths.

Rob

The track is mixed gauge between Chur and Domat Ems . I have photographed Re6/6 freights on several occasions on what at first glance looks like 'RhB' trackage. Every time I've been the train has worked in the path on the graphic. You can stand on the platform at Felsberg and get the standard gauge freight with the mixed gauge track very obvious. Or you can get the train at Domat Ems on the standard gauge only with an RhB train on the adjacent double track RhB.

gordonwis

620 042 on the separate freight track between Domat Emas and Ems Werk. My pic September 2013

glenn allen

13 July 2020 at 13:37

Glenn

Rob Bishop

This morning we spent about an hour by the line between Chur West and Felsberg. As well as the passenger trains we saw 703 on the mixed train from Ilanz, and 707 on the freight to Ilanz. Standard gauge freight came in the form of BLS Brownie 175 heading to Ems Werk with containers, and 620-086 coming back towards Chur with tankers. The little standard guage shunter 923-025 ran light engine to Felsberg and back, presumably to shuffle some vans about in the sidings. Thanks for the gen about the freight paths. Rob

yatton123

On several YouTube videos I've seen the BLS container train described as “Eichhörnli-Express” (Squirrel Express).
Does anyone why it is so called ?

Max Wyss

The association with squirrels is usually with Arosa.

What kind of containers did you see?

Max.

Guerbetaler

Am 25.10.2021 um 18:49 schrieb Max Wyss:
The association with squirrels is usually with Arosa.
No, with Davos

https://kinder-gr.ch/draussen/wanderwege/freizeittipp-fuer-familien-in-graubuenden-davos/

:-)

Markus

Rob Bishop

Apologies for the poor image quality! There's my camera phone picture of the Brownie near Felsberg. Rob

Guerbetaler

Am 25.10.2021 um 18:06 schrieb yatton123 via groups.io:
On several YouTube videos I've seen the BLS container train described
as “Eichhörnli-Express”
I have never heard this expression and can't imagine what it should stand for.

And you agree, we are speaking about the Frenkendorf - Ems-Werk move?

> And you agree, we are speaking about the Frenkendorf - Ems-Werk move? ----------------------------- Interesting that's not the BLS container train I associate with that section of line, mine was a working to the Heineken place at Felsberg with white Axis containers.

Guerbetaler

Am 26.10.2021 um 02:36 schrieb gordonwis via groups.io:
And you agree, we are speaking about the Frenkendorf - Ems-Werk
move?
Interesting that's not the BLS container train I associate with that
section of line, mine was a working to the Heineken place at Felsberg
with white Axis containers.
Axis containers are mostly Coop & partners (Coop does sell beer :-)

Before Railcare got the Vectrons, which are as the only modern standard gauge locomotives enabled and approved to run under 11 kV, Railcare leased a BLS Re 4/4 for the Felsberg trains.

Markus, Gürbetal

yatton123

Thanks for the answers everybody.
The train I'm referring to is the Frenkendorf one mainly consisting of 80' twins with deep sea containers.
I think it's something to do with Schweizerzug as the Domat Ems wagons are taken to Frenkendorf and added to Schweizerzug trains for Rotterdam/Antwerp/Neuss. The train runs to Muttenz and the 425s run around the train for the short trip to Frenkendorf.
Something on the Co-op, they have taken over their wagonload van service from SBBC. They have somewhere over 150 vans on hire from SBBC.There are several recent videos on YouTube of both van only and mixed (van/container) trains with RailCare Vectron haulage.

Guerbetaler

Am 26.10.2021 um 21:55 schrieb yatton123 via groups.io:
I think it's something to do with Schweizerzug
I didn't know Schweizerzug AG, but found theri homepage. They state that they collaborate with "Swissterminal, BLS Cargo, Verzollung & Logistik sowie Gaston Schul"

They connect Frenkendorf and Niederglatt with Antwerpen and Rotterdam via Neuss.

But this still doesn't explain the squirrel...

Markus, Gürbetal