Infrastrukturdiagnose

John Lovda

I saw this locomotive sitting at the Zurich HB. I understand that this unit had laser measuring equipment to check track positioning. There does not seem to be any actual alignment equipment on it. Can the equipment measure location down to centimeters for another machine to come and actually straighten tracks? What kind of machine actually does the straightening? How many of these measuring locomotives does the SBB have?

John

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/51614903029/

As far as I know, XTmass 160 001 is an only child. It was built in Italy to SBB specs.
Once an issue is detected, the appropriate work train (rails, catenary, etc) is dispatched to that location.

Max Wyss

This vehicle is full of sensors and measuring equipment. It is run on all lines at regular intervals, and records track, loading gauge, catenary and whatever else parameters, which provide input for maintenance. Most parameters are measured contactless.

Max.

Guerbetaler

Am 25.10.2021 um 17:40 schrieb John Lovda via groups.io:
I saw this locomotive sitting at the Zurich HB.
This is a railcar
:-P

Most things have been said, but to add this: SBB must check all lines where speeds over 160 km/h are possible weekly, IIRC. Apart from this, "normal" lines are checked at least once a year to recognise problems. The railcar is also used on lines of other infrastructure managers.

Am 25.10.2021 um 18:22 schrieb csipromo via groups.io:
As far as I know, XTmass 160 001 is an only child.
Yes, it's the only one, but numbering isn't exactly like this. Its number is 99 85 91 60 001-5
99 is for rail service vehicles
85 is Switzerland
91 stands for self propelled and faster than 100 km/h
60 stands for multi-purpose measuring vehicle

Similar vehicles in other countries carry the same 9160 number:

99 51 9160 001-5 PL-PLK (2016)
99 80 9160 001-0 D-DB (1975)
99 80 9160 002-8 D-DB (1975)
99 80 9160 003-6 D-DB (2014)
99 80 9160 004-4 D-DB (2014)
99 80 9160 005-1 D-DB (2017)
99 84 9160 555-1 NL-EUSCT (2002)
99 84 9160 596-5 NL-EUSCT (1997)
99 85 9160 001-5 CH-SBBI (2007)
99 94 9160 001-4 P-MERLW (2010)

Markus

sodwyer@...

Here is the Australian version.
It is used to inspect all lines on the Sydney suburban and interurban area, usually weekly.
Whilst it is diesel powered, it also operates though the underground sections of the network.
Note the cameras on the front and lighting the track behind the front bogie.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194251339@N03/51628090687/in/dateposted-public/