Topics

A couple of SBBC queries.

yatton123

My Swiss train watching since March has had to be via YouTube.
I have noticed several videos of a wagonload freight service that uses EDG 446 loks.
From the video locations and the consist I assume it's a RBL/Romanshorn service.
Do SBBC hire these loks or has the service been ''privatised'' like the RBL/Rekingen service which was taken over by Swiss Rail Traffic?
At the start of the year the EDG loks were in regular use on sugar and oil trains through Basel.
SBBC have a new contract to move building waste from the Geneva area to Onnens-Bonvillars. to be put in Lac de Neuchâtel by ship.
Has anyone seen any photos of this service ?

csipromo

According to what I have found, mostly from descriptions attached to photos posted on assorted websites, EDG is operating the oil run on Mondays and Tuesdays for SBB Cargo (SBBC).
They are also contracted to provide services for other operators, including Austrian LTE for the Swiss segment of their routes. This operation has included the delivery of Polish sugar to the Frauenfeld area. I don't know if this is a standing partnership or was contracted on a per run or per route basis.
It would be interesting to find out if there are new runs where these locomotives are in regular use.

davey

446 015 + 446 017 hauled a train of open box wagons (SK-CWAG, Eaols type) out of Basel Bad Rbf yesterday (21.09) at around 13.15

csipromo

There was a photo of LTE run 40210 from Austria to Rotterdam via St Margrethen. Tractive power was not any of the ex-SOB Loks, but rather one of the Vectron 193s that LTE leased from ELL which are operated by EDG in Switzerland:
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/748792/

Davey, could you tell if that was a SBBC run or was it for another operator?

yatton123

Thank you for the replies.
The container train is probably the Wolfurt - Rotterdam (via Frenkendorf) service which was introduced earlier this year. In January DP Ports took a 44% share in SwissTerminals who run Frenkendorf  - info here.

davey

Dear Mike

I forgot to mention that, on leaving Basel Bad Rbf, there was a Beacon Rail TRAXX loco on the back of the service hauled by the EDG 446s, a couple of which are hired to LTE

cheers
Dave