Another new Swiss tunnel

Martin Baumann

Chavannes (93+733, not a passenger station) to Twann (95+977) is the last portion of single track between Lausanne and Olten via Neuchatel and Biel Work began on its replacement on October 18th. The lake on one side and cliffs on the other make it impractical to add a second track to the exisiting line so about 3.1 km of new railway will be built. Approximately 92+733 to 93+733 will be replaced by a deviation and the line will then enter a 2130m tunnel. The new line is planned to enter service in December 2026

Ligerz Halt (94+003) will close without replacement when the new line opens.

What change to the line distance will apply is so far unknown. km quoted are from zero at Lausanne but the line is shorter than the posts due to several previous deviations

some information in German at https://company.sbb.ch/de/ueber-die-sbb/projekte/projekte-romandie-wallis/region-neuenburg-jura/ligerztunnel.html

gordonwis

Martin Baumann wrote: > The lake on one side and cliffs on the other make it impractical to add a second track to the exising line > Ligerz Halt (94+003) will close without replacement when the new line opens. <<<<< Not to mention the pretty lakeside village houses and the old main road... The Ligerz - Preles funicular will feel the pinch!

Clive Dean

gordonwis said: The Ligerz - Preles funicular will feel the pinch!

I thought that as well.  Looking at the area on Google Maps, I did wonder what would prevent the tunnel being built quite close to the lake with a new Ligerz station almost under the lower funicular station.  Even if it was a 100 metres into the mountain it wouldn't be much of a walk to the funicular or the local parking area.

Bill Bolton

On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 10:31:20 +0000, Clive Dean wrote:

Looking at the area on Google Maps, I did wonder
what would prevent the tunnel being built quite close to the lake with a
new Ligerz station almost under the lower funicular station.
The cost of tunneling is greatly reduced by sharing the access tunnel
with the adjacent road tunnel.

Ligerz station gets ~500 passengers on a weekday and I suspect that
they have run both the economic and public-good numbers and decided
that there is not an adequate case for building a more expensive
tunnel.

Guerbetaler

Am 17.11.2021 um 05:01 schrieb Bill Bolton:
Ligerz station gets ~500 passengers on a weekday and I suspect that they have run both the economic and public-good numbers and decided that there is not an adequate case for building a more expensive tunnel.
... at the price of having to establish and operate a new bus line.

But it is very clear that the funicular will lose passengers, as you can reach Prêles by bus from La Neuveville in 13 min.

Markus, Gürbetal