Topics

Big order for new units from MGB

Martin Baumann

Stadler was the only bidder. MGB have ordered 27 3 car units to be known as ORION. The last four units will be adhesion only

tudor erich

Where are they going to use non-rack units? In the tunnel?
Bernard

Guerbetaler

Am 07.02.2020 um 18:43 schrieb Martin Baumann:
Stadler was the only bidder. MGB have ordered 27 3 car units to be
known as ORION. The last four units will be adhesion only
I'm afraid that this message is a "bit" premature. Even if there is no doubt that Stadler will deliver the next generation of EMUs to MGB, they haven't ordered yet. The only thing that happened, is a publication of the decision that Stadler's offer won. This is the last moment for competitors to raise objection.

And, if I'm not mistaken, not all 27 EMUs will be ordered at once. It's worth waiting for communications by MGB or Stadler.

Am 07.02.2020 um 19:31 schrieb tudor erich via Groups.Io:
Where are they going to use non-rack units? In the tunnel?
Yes, in the tunnel (MGB only has one, LOL)

How can other companies complain when they did not bid to start with?

Guerbetaler

Am 08.02.2020 um 15:30 schrieb Martin Baumann:
How can other companies complain when they did not bid to start with?
how: In a written form

Maybe you wanted to ask: why? Now that's a question of public market laws. Any competitor could complain that he wasn't given the chance to offer. He would hardly be successful but he could delay the order. ...

Markus

Chris Wood

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 11:44 AM, Guerbetaler wrote:

Yes, in the tunnel (MGB only has one, LOL)
Assuming we are talking about the Furka Base Tunnel, then surely the only services that are limited to the tunnel and its approaches are the car shuttles between Realp and Oberwald. And a three-car passenger unit would seem an odd choice to operate such a service.

Guerbetaler

Am 10.02.2020 um 14:34 schrieb Chris Wood via Groups.Io:
On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 11:44 AM, Guerbetaler wrote:

Yes, in the tunnel (MGB only has one, LOL)
Assuming we are talking about the Furka Base Tunnel, then surely the
only services that are limited to the tunnel and its approaches are
the car shuttles between Realp and Oberwald. And a three-car
passenger unit would seem an odd choice to operate such a service.
No, we are not speaking about the Furka Base Tunnel. We are talking about a tunnel that doesn't exist yet and should replace 2 existing tunnels plus several snow sheds. It's the tunnel from Täsch to zermatt, which should be realised with STEP 35. It will allow to avoid cogwheel between the two places.

Markus, Gürbetal

Thomas

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 09:28 AM, Guerbetaler wrote:

No, we are not speaking about the Furka Base Tunnel. We are talking
about a tunnel that doesn't exist yet and should replace 2 existing
tunnels plus several snow sheds. It's the tunnel from Täsch to zermatt,
which should be realised with STEP 35. It will allow to avoid cogwheel
between the two places.
Where could I read more about this project?

Rgds, Thomas.

Chris Wood

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 09:28 AM, Guerbetaler wrote:

No, we are not speaking about the Furka Base Tunnel. We are talking
about a tunnel that doesn't exist yet and should replace 2 existing
tunnels plus several snow sheds. It's the tunnel from Täsch to zermatt,
which should be realised with STEP 35. It will allow to avoid cogwheel
between the two places.
Ah. Now I properly understand your previous LOL comment. I knew that the MGB had several tunnels other than the base tunnel, but all much smaller and not likely to have a captive train service. I didn't know that there was another planned in the upper stretches of the Zermatt line. But even if-and-when that is built, I don't think it will qualify as 'the' tunnel; measured as a direct line Realp and Oberwald is nearly three times as far as Täsch to Zermatt.

Guerbetaler

Am 07.02.2020 um 20:43 schrieb Guerbetaler:
And, if I'm not mistaken, not all 27 EMUs will be ordered at once.
In a first step, 12 3-car-trains will be ordered at a price of CHF 148 Mio. or 12.3 Mio. per train. This is quite a proud price for a motor coach with two hangers.

Markus, Gürbetal

Andrew Moglestue

the tunnel from Täsch to zermatt, which should be realised with STEP 35. It will allow to avoid cogwheel between the two places.
Does this mean that such trains would be strictly restricted to this section (and hence, presumably, a depot provided locally) as a transfer to Visp for maintenance would sound tricky without cog provision.

Krist van Besien

On Feb 11, 2020, 20:40 +0100, Guerbetaler <guerbetaler@...>, wrote:
Am 07.02.2020 um 20:43 schrieb Guerbetaler:
And, if I'm not mistaken, not all 27 EMUs will be ordered at once.
In a first step, 12 3-car-trains will be ordered at a price of CHF 148
Mio. or 12.3 Mio. per train. This is quite a proud price for a motor
coach with two hangers.
Given that these are mixed rack/adhesion units they will probably be similar to units delivered to MOB and ZB. And these are quite complex beasts with traction distributed over the whole length of the unit. So all coaches are powered.

Krist

Martin Baumann

Not ZB any time soon. See message 27298 on this group

Guerbetaler

Am 12.02.2020 um 16:34 schrieb Andrew Moglestue via Groups.Io:
as a transfer to Visp for maintenance would sound tricky without cog provision.
ZB SPATZ units get over the Brünig Pass in MU with rack-EMUs

Markus, Gürbetal

tudor erich

I`m sure that with a rack equipped piece of rolling stock as well (or several) or rack equipped motive power all would be well. Not all traffic over the Oberalp is rack equipped historically.
Bernard

Guerbetaler

Am 12.02.2020 um 18:28 schrieb tudor erich via Groups.Io:
Not all traffic over the Oberalp is rack equipped historically.
The rule is that the last vehicle must have a cogwheel and that every second vehicle must have a cogwheel.

Ge 4/4 81 and 82 have often been in Brig and in Landquart. RhB locomotives came to Andermatt several times. The locomotive or EMU must work in adhesion mode and be accompanied by a rack locomotive or motor coach on the valley side, e.g.
Disentis - Oberalp Ge 4/4" leading, Deh behind
Oberalp - Andermatt Deh leading, Ge 4/4" behind

If I'm not mistaken, a SPATZ may be behind an ADLER when working in MU over the Brünig.

An adhesion-only ORION will be allowed to work over rack sections in MU with a rack ORION.

Am 12.02.2020 um 22:06 schrieb Toma Bacic:
For what reason RhB vehicles were going to Andermatt? Also which
vehicles and when?
Betreff: Re: [SwissRail] RhB loco on the MGB
Datum: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:12:22 +0200
Von: Markus <guerbetaler@...>
An: SwissRail@...

Malcolm Hardy-Randall wrote:
In April 2005 RhB Ge 4/4 III 651 piloted MGB HGe 4/4 II 106 on a
special Panoramawagen train from Disentis to Oberalp. Was the RhB
loco fitted for rack operation or if not, is it just allowed to
operate on the MGB route in the pilot loco capacity only?
RhB locos were transferred over the Oberalp in different occasions.
Condition is, that rack-equipped motive power is in the train and
the RhB loco must be uphill from this. What we have recorded
until now is this:

1984 green Ge 4/4I 603 "Badus" and Ge 4/4II 617 "Ilanz" were
brought to Brig from where they were transported to Landquart
because an avalanche had interrupted the line to Disentis.
(SER 2/84)

22/26 Oct 1984 red Ge 4/4 II 628 was transferred to Realp for
track tests in Furka Tunnel (SER 5/84) These tests had been
repeated on two occasions, at least:

25 Oct 1985 Ge 4/4 II 6?? (EA12/85)
might have been 631 or 632.

18 Sep 1986 Ge 4/4 II 629 (EA 11/86)

1987 after heavy rainfalls the line was interrupted and RhB sent
a Tm for repair works to Disentis via Visp (EA 12/87)

15 May 1995 Ge 4/4 III 643 test rides in Furka tunnel preparing
Vereina car transports (SER 6/95)

April 2005 finally Ge 4/4 III 651 "75 Jahre Glacier Express"

Apart from this, FO/MGB's own adhesion-only Ge 4/4 81 and
82 were/are frequent guests on the Oberalp. But never
alone ...

Markus, Gürbetal

Toma Bacic

For what reason RhB vehicles were going to Andermatt? Also which vehicles and when?

Thank you and regards
Toma