Black Re 420

Hans L.

My son has seen an black Re 620 hauling à cargo train near Winterthur. Front windows had golden frameworks instead aluminium ones. A big swiss flag on the side, circled with leaves. The side was marked "swiss confederation" or something similar. Had somebody hear from or seen it?

csipromo

Is it a Re 620 or Re 420?

Hans L.

Le samedi 16 octobre 2021, 17:32:25 UTC+2, csipromo a écrit : > Is it a Re 620 or Re 420? Most probably 620 : "a long one!".

csipromo

11601 (Wolhusen) and 11602 (Morges) were sold to a private operator connected to Swisstrain.(swisstrain.eu). Neither of these units are listed as part of the Swisstrain fleet.
11603 and 11604 were sold to RailAdventure and 11604 is being used as a parts supply for 11603 (91 85 4620 003-4), which has entered service for the private operator.

I don't know if 11601 or 11602 are both still in active use, or whether one is being used as an Ersatzteillager for the other.

Some sites mention that the plan was for 11601 to remain in service and 11602 to be used as a parts supply. The last info that I had was that 11601 was moved from Bellinzona to Sissach in late 2019.

I could not find any new info on re620.ch or any of the sites which would normally update on any changes.

The only black loco that comes to mind is one of the leased locos such as 189 991

https://tinyurl.com/yrtfj43r (Flickr)

csipromo

Sources suggest that 11602 remains in Sissach and 11601 is in Payerne. 11604 is being used as a parts source by RailAdventure and none of these are in operational condition at the present moment. I could not find any other Re 6/6 (620) having been sold to a private operator or group.
A number of Re 4/4 (420/421/430) have been sold to private operators, the most recent was Re 421 374 sold to Swiss Rail Traffic (SRT) and still in Cargo livery with SRT logo instead of SBBC. Other units went to IRSI (TEE and Rheingold livery) and to WRS (blue livery). 421 379 was sold to a group in Full and remains in the blue Zuerich-Munich livery. DSF acquired Re 4/4II (420) 11173. The information on their website suggests that their plan is to repaint it in green and to restore the original round headlights.
The other change of possession of note was the OeBB acquiring the former SBB 11350 (SOB Re 4/4 41). As far as I know, this unit is still in SBB red.
I have no clue which locomotive it could have been in black. There are a number of foreign locomotives (Traxx, Siemens) currently being used in the Winterthur area for the seasonal Sugar Beet traffic. What used to be a big SBB operation is now handled by a private company leasing machines from various sources, including Eisenbahn Dienstleiter, Sersa, CJ/BLS and Others.

The only black locomotives in the SBB fleet are the leased ES64F4 and some of the ELL Vectron locomotives.
BLS had one of it's Re 465s wrapped in black while leased to RailCare. AFAIK that unit is back in normal colours now.

I wonder if it could be one of the rented machines being used for Sugar Beet traffic.

Am 18.10.2021 um 15:38 schrieb Martin Baumann:
The only black loco that comes to mind is one of the leased locos
such as 189 991
There was a locomotive around with a round Swiss flag and some decoration around it. I don't recall what type of locomotive it was and don't find the picture any more.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 06:46 PM, Guerbetaler wrote:

There was a locomotive around with a round Swiss flag and some decoration
around it. I don't recall what type of locomotive it was and don't find the
picture any more.
460 015 ? https://tinyurl.com/y9n32wma or possibly ÖBB 1116 075 https://tinyurl.com/j4rtrfmr (both links are flickr)

John Whitby

Guerbetaler

There was this one many years ago.
Gentlemen, it is interesting what liveries existed, but the question was about a recent sighting.

I've eliminated all the private Re 6/6 and almost certainly all of the Re 4/4 (420/421/430).
I've eliminated 3 of the 4 Re 446 (EDG). It is not the new livery of the Rhomberg/Sersa machine (420 503).

Somehow, the description of the Swiss crest with leaves sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't nail it down.

The description as having gold framed front windows instead of silver (metal) does not help lead in any direction.

I don't think that it is a WRS machine and I don't think it corresponds to any existing SBB werbelok.

Could it be one of the leased loks being used for Sugar Beet traffic? I have ruled out the IRSI and IGE loks.

Ewan Tait

465 018 “Flash Fire”, and yes, back in BLS blue https://flic.kr/p/vTJjNS (black) https://flic.kr/p/2hYwitb (blue) Cheers, Ewan -- http://ewan.me.uk

Ewan Tait

Apologies, 465 018 is now in green rather than blue.

https://flic.kr/p/2m8141x

Cheers,
Ewan

--