BLS 420 Diagrams

Tim G

On Sunday 22nd August, I went to view the BLS 420 turns and found 420 501 on 09:08 Interlaken Ost - Zweisimmen, but there was a 565 EMU on 09:38 Zweisimmen - Spiez.
I could see 420 504 looking a bit dumped down the back of Spiez depot, while what must have been 420 502 was inside the depot, so assume that only one of the three locos was serviceable and that was why the EMU was out. But I guess it is equally possible that there is now only 1 diagram left for BLS 420s.
Can anyone confirm what the status is of 420 502 & 504 and also is there any information on when these locos will be replaced by new EMUs? I assume this is fairly imminent.

Thanks for any information.
Tim G

Martin Baumann

Replacement probably at the December timetable change. 502 has been in service this month, 504 last known working 18.07.2021

Without an overhaul 501 can run to 16.11.2022 502 24.02.2022 504 22.07.2022

csipromo

I think that the remaining EWIII consists are working Zweisimmen - Spiez - Interlaken and back and that the shorter Zweisimmen - Spiez - Zweisimmen are run by 565 or other EMU.

They are running tests with the new dual gauge MOB rolling stock. I don't know if they have done any runs with passengers yet.
I think that these will assume the bulk of traffic between Zweisimmen and Interlaken and back. The remaining trains between Spiez and Zweisimmen will probably remain BLS EMU.

Related question: If there are no operational Re 420.5 available, can the EWIII sets be operated by a RBDe 565 at the head?

If no 420.5 is available then a 465 would be used. As these get their R3 and hideous paint scheme they no longer have the ability to work with EWII.

Those not yet done are 002 003 005 006 008 016 017

420.5 diagrams are on the European Rail Gen (ERG) IO Group. There are two rostered daily

Tim G

Thanks to all for the information on the 420.5s.
I am after 420 502, I hope to have another try for it on Saturday 11th September, so hopefully it will be back in traffic by then.
Amazing how many times you can cover two diagrams for 3 locos and never get the one you are after!
Fingers crossed, it will probably be my last chance for 502 by the sounds of things.
Regards
Tim

Martin Baumann

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 09:00 PM, Martin Baumann wrote:

If no 420.5 is available then a 465 would be used. As these get their R3 and
hideous paint scheme they no longer have the ability to work with EWII.

Those not yet done are 002 003 005 006 008 016 017
465 003 has now been done, laeving 6 blue locos that can still work with EWIII