BLS EWI Interiors

Alan McMillan

Does anyone know if the BLS/GBS/BN/SEZ had the same red and green seating colours as the SBB in their EWI vehicles after they were painted in blue and cream after 1976?

Guerbetaler

Am 22.08.2021 um 09:16 schrieb Alan McMillan:
Does anyone know if the BLS/GBS/BN/SEZ had the same red and green
seating colours as the SBB in their EWI vehicles after they were
painted in blue and cream after 1976?
I can't recall a gren seat in any BLS coach. And BLS never had that plastic material that SBB used for their EW II and refurbished EW I B.

EA 6/1976 reports that the then new coaches were delivered with textile seat covers. From memory I would say that the seats were blue and red.

On a side line, in "Das grosse Buch der Lötschbergbahn" I found for the 1976 delivery the statement, "wurden alle ab Fabrik blau-crème lackiert, wobei das Blau heller als bisher ausfällt", thus earlier vehicles had a darker blue.

Taking Alan's recent finding, that the blue was RAL 5013 for the 1976 delivery and RAL 5003 for later paint jobs, there is a third colour for paint jobs before 1976.

On Sunday, 22 August 2021, 10:08:32 BST, Alan McMillan <alan@techwareconsultancy.com> wrote:
Does anyone know if the BLS/GBS/BN/SEZ had the same red and green seating colours as the SBB in their EWI vehicles after they were painted in blue and cream after 1976?

A long time ago, but my recollection is of a different experience EWs had dull seats inside the coaches when we changed from SBB to BLS coaches in the early 1970s. Fairly certain BLS was a drab colour similar to SBB leichstahlwagen

Guerbetaler

Am 24.08.2021 um 23:50 schrieb gordonwis via groups.io:
On Sunday, 22 August 2021, 10:08:32 BST, Alan McMillan
<alan@techwareconsultancy.com> wrote:
Does anyone know if the BLS/GBS/BN/SEZ had the same red and green
seating colours as the SBB in their EWI vehicles after they were
painted in blue and cream after 1976?
A long time ago, but my recollection is of a different experience EWs
had dull seats inside the coaches when we changed from SBB to BLS
coaches in the early 1970s. Fairly certain BLS was a drab colour
similar to SBB leichstahlwagen
Absolutely agree, Gordon. But the question was for AFTER 1976.

The replacement of wooden seats on most Swiss railways or their "light" upholstery was usually brown leatherette, in a few cases dark green or red. The colourful seating started as follows:

1958 first class EW I of SBB with green textile for non smoking an red for smoking

1960 Bodensee-Toggenburg-Bahn with green and red leatherette in second class (the small first class was blue textile, independent from the amount of smoke produced...)

1965 SBB EW II with green and red plastic cover

1973 SBB EW I refurbished with similar seats as EW II

1976 BLS EW I of the last series with blue and red textile

HTH

I remember BLS coaches having the red and blue interiors. I think that was around 1985, when I was in the Interlaken region.
I remember seeing BLS EWI in green and in blue/beige in 1971-72. I don't recall whether the interiors were the same or whether there were differences between the two.
The only time I had seen BLS coaches that year was around Bern while travelling from Lausanne back to Zurich after a trip to Paris.

Alan McMillan

I've gone with the red and blue as I have a photo that shows blue upholstery with grey headrests in a BN EWI and I'll assume there's red at the other end in non-smoking. Photos to follow.

Regards

Alan