Topics

Books on the RhB in English

peter749@ymail.com

A friend asked a question on another forum

"Is anybody aware of a book on Rhatische Bahn (RhB) and its railway network, especially the routes we see in TS (Albula, Bernina, Arosa..) in English?
I could only find books in German unfortunately...

What I am after is a comprehensive book released in the last 10-15 years on the RhB railway lines and/or RhB locos."

Any suggestions - those I found on Amazon were all in German which my friend does not read.

Peter

TS is the Train Simulator game
https://store.steampowered.com/app/376966/Train_Simulator_Albula_Line_St_Moritz__Thusis_Route_AddOn/

DAVID STEVENSON

What I am after is a comprehensive book released in the last 10-15 years on the RhB railway lines and/or RhB locos."
www.swissrailsoc.org.uk

Try the Sales pages.

DAVE S

stephenhorobin

peter749@ymail.com

Thanks Gents,

Nothing on the SRC website about just the RhB - I will keep looking

Peter

Guerbetaler

Am 07.07.2020 um 14:43 schrieb peter749@ymail.com via groups.io:
What I am after is a comprehensive book released in the last 10-15
years on the RhB railway lines and/or RhB locos.
Reading German I have no necessity to find English books on the RhB. However I would largely recommend to read the numerous articles about RhB in Wikipedia. Many of them are translated from German or were elaborated using German books. But in the references you won't find a comprehensive English book! It seems that no such book exists.

Markus, Gürbetal

glyn.jones

Nothing on the SRC website about just the RhB - I will keep looking
No but the new Swiss Independent Railways book has 30 pages devoted to RhB
electric locos.

Glyn

John Jesson

The Swiss Railways Society publishes two books that might fit the
requirements. "Swiss Travel Guides - 6, Graubünden" describes all the
lines of the RhB. It was published in 2013.

Published this year is another, larger, book "Swiss Independent Railways
- their electric locomotives past & present". There is a lengthy section
devoted to the RhB, including the former Bernina Bahn and Bellinzona -
Mesocco.

Both are in English and are available from the SRS shop on their website.

John Jesson

csipromo

You could look to see if you can find the most recent edition of the book by Franz Marti and Walter Trueb Die Rhaetische Bahn (Orell Fuessli). I think it probably dates back to the 1980s.
It has text in German, French, Italian and English and is full of photos. The rolling stock is older and some routes may be newer, but it will give you a good understanding of the route.

More recent rolling stock and images can be found on the web.

I was able to determine that the most recent edition of that book seems to be from 1986. It likely does not include the Vereina Tunnel and other recent changes, but should provide a wealth of information and photos of the classic primary lines of the railway, including the Rhein valley, Filisur (Landwasser), the Albula, the Engadin and the Bernina.

Information on the Vereina line (tunnel) can be found online: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vereina_Tunnel

peter749@ymail.com

Thanks Mike but that book, Rhaetische Bahn (Orell Fuessli), is around 35-40 years old

Glyn & John,

I will suggest those two books to my friend

Thank you

Peter

jtatum43

The book that Mike C mentions is available at amazon.de (amazon Germany) for 15.90 euros new and from 2.45 euros used. They have only one new copy of the book in stock. Click on "Books" at the amazon.de site, then enter the book's title in the search box - Die Rhaetische Bahn - and you'll find it on the second page of listings of RhB books and calendars. They state the text is in German, French and English.

Jim Tatum

I have the Loetschberg-Simplon, Die Gotthardbahn (3 editions) and Bahnen der Voralpen books by the same authors. Yes, they are 40 years old or older, but they are filled with information about the routes and the history of the lines and have photos on every page.

They give you a basic understanding of the lines and possibly more important, you can learn translations by grasping the German, French or Italian text alongside the English. For example, if a photo description mentions kehrtunnel, you can figure out from the English text that it means spiral tunnel and the next time you see that word, you will understand what it means...

I found that the photos also provide a reasonable idea for some consisting for my model trains.
I would love it if somebody would travel the routes again and update the classic books with new photos...

Clive Dean

Guerbetaler

Am 09.07.2020 um 21:50 schrieb Clive Dean:
There's also some great "real" cab rides on You Tube of most of the RhB lines now, including:
If we are at it: Don't forget that RhB is included in Google streetview.

<https://www.google.com/maps/@46.5600334,9.8449966,2a,75y,139.29h,91.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sr2J5pd_Nu1fI2XqPnTKn7A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656>

Markus, Gürbetal

John Beaulieu

Calandamountain channel has video showing the RhB on Youtube. His earliest ones are bare bones, but his recent ones have more information.

The Railway Emotions channel on Youtube also featured a video shot by Clandamountain with more information.

Finally some of the recent videos on Lorirocks777 channel have great detail with 4K quality covering several RhB routes.