Electronic magazines...

Krist van Besien

Hello all,

I used to be subscriber to Schweizer Eisenbahn Revue. I then cancelled it when I moved in with my GF because I had no way to store all that paper. I also then lived in Bern, where I could read it in the library.
Currently I live in Wengen, where we have no library.

So I am interested in good magazines, with lots of Swiss and European railway related content, that are delivered electronically. Any suggestions?

Krist

--
Vriendelijke Groet | Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement
Krist van Besien krist.vanbesien@... +41 79 5936260

Max Wyss

I know how that feels, as I am more than an hour (and 23 Francs) away from the ETH library…

The "professional" magazines are available in electronic format, as far as I can see (Railway Gazette, etc.).

You might have to twist some arms to "persuade" SER to provide an electronic version (would not be a big deal to produce for them anyway… Digital Rights management may more be an issue for them…). EA once sold all back issues in electronic form, but I don't know whether they provide electronic versions of the current issues.

Otherwise, you may have to look around on the "usual suspects" websites…

Max.

Martin Baumann

EA provide pdf copies to premium subscribers though only at the end of the calendar year.

The USB Stick with every issue from 1948 to 2017 is still available https://eisenbahn-amateur.ch/produkt/usb-stick/

George Raymond

Railway Gazette International

International Transport Journal (HQ in Basel)

I’ve been able to keep up on specific topics with Google Alerts.

George

Avast logo

Andrew Moglestue

If you're interested in trams and light rail, I have an electronic subscription to Tramways and Urban Transit.

Admittedly it's not the best magazine on the block and since some of the senior contributors dropped out about 10 years ago or so, some of their material has drifted into copying press releases, stating the obvious and blabla mode. But they are still a good starting point especially for a low resolution introduction to topics and places that you have zero idea about, and this is probably a field of interest that AFAIK nobody else really covers comprehensively (*) so it's still something I enjoy reading.

I do wish they would digitalize all their old material going back to the very beginning as especially the older copies had some very interesting articles and information that is probably not published elsewhere.

Tramways and Urban Transit also has a sister magazine called Tramway Review that covers historical perspectives of both extant and vanished systems and is published quarterly. This is also a an excellent publication and is available electronically to subscribers.

(*) Blickpunkt Strassenbahn is more accurate and detailed but is addressing people who are already experts.

csipromo

I don't know exactly what kind of info you are looking to keep up with, but you can get an online subscription for Loki, for railcolor.net and for other sources.
I wonder if there is a model RR club or group in your area which might have or might be interesting in having a group subscription where members could borrow issues for short periods. There may also be a library in Interlaken which might have such publications.

On Wednesday, 27 October 2021, 04:23:49 BST, csipromo via groups.io <csipromo@...> wrote:

I wonder if there is a model RR club or group in your area

There is a model railway club based at the BOB workshops in Zweilutschinen

David

“There is a model railway club based at the BOB workshops in Zweilutschinen”
Are you sure about that?
I stopped by the railway offices some years ago and was told it was defunct.
There is a club in Brienz. I’ve only been by it on foot and rail, never inside.

Guerbetaler

Am 01.11.2021 um 21:23 schrieb David:
I stopped by the railway offices some years ago and was told it was defunct.
There is a club in Brienz. I’ve only been by it on foot and rail, never inside.
MEFEZ still exists but they moved to Matten bei Interlaken to a new club home (Hauptstrasse 30e). They had to leave Zweilütschinen because of the extension of the BOB workshops.

www.mefez.ch