Topics

GGB gift

Gbgen

A short notice trip to take advantage of the free ticket offered by the Gornergratbahn to those whose birthday fell during the lockdown period.

Sunday 13 September
A last minute change of plans due to needing to be in work on Tuesday meant I stayed the night in Domodossola instead of Milano.

11197 19:48 Domodossola-Brig

Monday 14 September
Up early for the 05:58 to Brig, formed of 535s 118+124+110 which was fully loaded with commuters. At Brig 93 was viewed on the 06:48 to Fiesch with 2012 on the 06:52 to Zermatt so took 460073/093 on the 06:48 Romanshorn as far as Brig. There 94 was waiting on the 07:08 to Andermatt whilst I took 2012 to Zermatt. Passed 91, 51 and a unit heading towards Visp and 108 on a freight.

Arrived Zermatt 4 late at 08:18 for a quick dash to the GGB station where I easily acquired my free ticket in time for the 08:24 to Gornergrat with 3052+3082. The train was reasonably loaded and, after an hour at the top, the return at 09:55, with 3081+3051, was practically empty. The two up-bound trains passed on the way down were wedged and standing. Back in Zermatt, there was a huge queue for the train that ran out into the street. Additional trains were also been shown to run, but people were arriving faster than they could deal with them. The weather was glorious but I wouldn't have expected a Monday to be an overly busy day, it must have been even worse before Covid. Best advice is to go early.

Unfortunately another unit, 2021, at 11:13 back to Visp, passing only units until 91 on 12:08 Visp-Zermatt. Then 460074/109 to Bern for 460053 to Basel and home.