Gotthard Panorama Express

Chris Wood

Does anybody know what route the Gotthard Panorama Express takes between Lugano and Bellinzona. Does it go over the top of the Ceneri pass, or through the new base tunnel?.

David Jackman

> Does anybody know what route the Gotthard Panorama Express takes between Lugano and Bellinzona?

The Southbound 13:48 Arth-Goldau - Lugano was seen at Goeschenen earlier today (Friday) behind 11192, which is a booked stop.  It would be a bit pointless to route it via the base tunnel as it would miss all the best scenery.

It was almost empty.

David

csipromo

The GPE takes the classic route via Erstfeld-Wassen-Gotthard-Bellinzona and then on to Lugano via the old Ceneri route.

Chris Wood

On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 02:33 PM, David Jackman wrote:

The Southbound 13:48 Arth-Goldau - Lugano was seen at Goeschenen earlier
today (Friday) behind 11192, which is a booked stop. It would be a bit
pointless to route it via the base tunnel as it would miss all the best
scenery.
Well yes, but the best scenery is quite clearly north of Bellinzona, and that is surely going to be what most passengers are going to be riding for. By comparison the high level route between Lugano and Bellinzona is pretty tame, and I could imagine that the SBB might think the time advantage of using the base tunnel there would make it worthwhile.

It was almost empty.
I take it that was at Göschenen . I do wonder how the GPE is going to compete with Südostbahn's more regular and cheaper services between Arth-Goldau (and points north) and Locarno. I guess the idea is that the GPE is a much more 'curated' experience, with the added bonus of the boat trip, aimed at a different market, but I suspect there is a fair amount of overlap.

csipromo

The GPE runs from Flüelen to Lugano, with connection by boat to Lucerne. The SOB trains run from Basel or Zurich to Lugano/Locarno
The GPE is a special offering, which, in addition to the boat ride on the Vierwaldstättersee, also offers the views from the Apm panorama coaches.
The regular SOB offering also stops at more stations along the way.

Mick Sasse

"I do wonder how the GPE is going to compete with Südostbahn's more regular and cheaper services between Arth-Goldau (and points north) and Locarno. I guess the idea is that the GPE is a much more 'curated' experience, with the added bonus of the boat trip, aimed at a different market, but I suspect there is a fair amount of overlap."

Interesting that you say that - a few weeks ago I did a fourth alternative option: the Erstfeld - Bodio Erlebniszug San Gottardo organised by SBB Historic themselves, and I was pleasantly surprised that the return journey only cost CHF 40. On the occasion I did it, the traction was the very splendid Ce 6/8 II 14253 (Baujahr 1919!), but other interesting locos are used through the year: https://www.sbbhistoric.ch/2022-san-gottardo.html
Not necessarily the most rapid way to get to Tessin and back(!), but superb value, really comfortable coaches, and a thoroughly enjoyable experience.