Jungfraubahn, ticket options

Toma Bacic

Hello all!
I think this question has already been asked (and answered), but I can't find it at all... My parents (70+ years) are planing to go to Jungfrau this August, they will travel by car to Interlaken. What is the cheapest option to go to Jungfraujoch?

Any advice is appreciated! ;)

Thank you!
toma

--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Zagreb

Guerbetaler

Am 12.07.2021 um 15:35 schrieb Toma Bacic:
I think this question has already been asked (and answered), but I can't find it at all... My parents (70+ years) are planing to go to Jungfrau this August, they will travel by car to Interlaken. What is the cheapest option to go to Jungfraujoch?
The cheapest way to the Jungfraujoch would be to get a Coop voucher that was given, when you bought for more than 100 Fr. ...

If your parents don't plan any other rail travel in Switzerland, then my answer is: breath deep and pay.

For the average car driver, there is no reduction at all. Before the V-Bahn opened, it was possible to get cheaper tickets for the first train. But I can't find them any more.

Swiss Half Fare Card is CHF 120.00. The half fare return ticket Interlaken Ost - Jungfraujoch is CHF 117.90 ...

Markus, Gürbetal

George Raymond

I’m tempted to say that the cheapest way to the Jungfrau is by helicopter. I too would be very interested to hear of any tricks for saving on the train fare, which per km must be the highest in the world.

Another consideration is the effects of altitude on some people. My father (86) will never return to the Jungfrau for this reason.

But most people do fine, and if the weather holds out, the view from the top is incomparable.

George

Virenfrei. www.avg.com

Clive Dean

I must admit I prefer the Schilthorn to Jungfraujoch.  Must nicer views and the trip is all in the open air.  And if you reasonably fit you can always walk one or both ways from Grütschalp to Mürren (or part way to Winteregg) to enjoy the views.

Mark Pichowicz

If they are planning on any other travelling whilst in the area then a Berner Oberland pass is worthwhile but it’s still an additional chf 99 to the top

https://www.regionalpass-berneroberland.ch/en/

Guerbetaler

Am 13.07.2021 um 22:07 schrieb Mark Pichowicz:
If they are planning on any other travelling whilst in the area
As I wrote before, as soon as they have more plans with public transport, other than Jungfraujoch (return ticket CHF 235.80), many better options are available. Apart from the aforementioned Swiss Half Fare Card at CHF 120.00 (plus half fare ticket at CHF 117.90), and the Berner Oberland Regional Pass at CHF 230.00 (plus CHF 99.00 for the Jungfraujoch journey), there is also a Jungfraubahnen-internal pass, only valid on their own installations, at CHF 239.00 for three days.
https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/top-of-europe-pass/
But this would allow a Schynige Platte plus a Mürren excursion at an additional CHF 3.20!

Markus, Gürbetal

csipromo

The fact that they are going to Interlaken by car means that they can stock up at Buehler and Eyro for you... ;)

The Swiss Holiday Card offers free access to most railroads. I think that the ride above Grindelwald might not be covered or is likely subject to a surcharge or discount from full fare. Remember that the prices are per person. You may be able to get a package deal at one of the travel agencies operated by or for the SBB. We got an amazing package for a short trip to Paris. The staff there seemed rather eager to help us find what we were seeking.

Regards

Mike C

csipromo

The Berner Oberland Pass will probably allow for a trip to Lauterbrunnen and Mürren. I spent a nice afternoon there with my Dad and we had a nice lunch overlooking the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau.

Regards

Mike C

Chris Wood

Just to agree with many above. If your parents are visiting Interlaken and all they are going to do is the Jungfraujoch, that is a real shame. Whilst undeniably a bucket list destination, the "top of the world" will inevitably be very busy and their stay there may be limited by the effects of altitude.

I'd strongly recommend the trip to Murren as well. A completely different set of views, and if they are up to a reasonably level walk, walking from Winteregg to Murren or vica-versa on the path that follows the railway will be much quieter and prettier than the Jungfraujoch, with advantage of really good views of the Eiger and Jungfrau. A trip up the Schilthorn from Murren is another possibility, but I cannot really comment on that as I've never managed to do it when the summit was in less than 10/10ths cloud.

The Schynige Platte is lovely too, especially if you have any interest in gardens and plants. Or there is the fascinating walk through the Areschlucht at Meiringen, if they have got fed up of mountains. I'm guessing your parents are not rail fans, so I won't go on about the Brienz Rothorn Bahn or any of the other fascinating railways in the area. But the Berner Oberland Regional Pass will get you to all these other places and get you a good discount on the Jungfraubahn.