Topics

Narrow gauge train by Wohlen

John Lovda

I have been watching YouTube videos of SBB train cab rides. On a video riding S25 the train passed some narrow gauge tracks going off from Wohlen. I followed these tracks on Google Maps and they seem to lead to Bremgarten. What railroad is this? Is it passenger or freight only? Anything interesting on this route?

Second question. When an S Bahn train is heading toward Zürich HB after stopping at Stadelhofen can it only go to the Museumstrasse Station (41-44) or is there a switch in the tunnel allowing it to go to the Lowenstrasse Station (31-34) as well?

Thanks

Guerbetaler

Am 10.04.2020 um 17:47 schrieb John Lovda via groups.io:
I have been watching YouTube videos of SBB train cab rides. On a
video riding S25 the train passed some narrow gauge tracks going off
from Wohlen. I followed these tracks on Google Maps and they seem to
lead to Bremgarten. What railroad is this? Is it passenger or freight
only? Anything interesting on this route?
The tracks belong to the AVA-line S17 Dietikon - Bremgarten AG - Wohlen, former BDWM transport, former Bremgarten-Dietikon-Bahn (BD), opened in 1902 for Dietikon - Bremgarten and 1912 for Bremgarten - Wohlen. This bit was between Bremgarten West and Wohlen erected by putting a third rail to the existing standard gauge track, which persisted for freight traffic. All rail freight traffic between Dietikon and Wohlen has ceased and the standard gauge track was lifted last year.

Second question. When an S Bahn train is heading toward Zürich HB
after stopping at Stadelhofen can it only go to the Museumstrasse
Station (41-44) or is there a switch in the tunnel allowing it to go
to the Lowenstrasse Station (31-34) as well?
No, there is no connection.

Am 10.04.2020 um 17:57 schrieb Guerbetaler:
The tracks belong to the AVA-line S17 Dietikon - Bremgarten AG - Wohlen
Some recent pictures by the company here:
<https://www.aargauverkehr.ch/unternehmen/medien/pr>;

S17 Dietikon - Wohlen has the ABe 4/8 5000 series, other trains are for the S14 Aarau - Schöftland and Menziken.

Maybe an odd detail: S17 is a Zürich S-Bahn number (starting point Dietikon is in the canton of Zürich), while S14 is a number of Northwestern Switzerland (Basel/Aarau/Olten/Delémont).

Markus, Gürbetal

Hans L.

First question: It's the Bremgarten-Dietikon-Bahn, meter-gauge passenger train.

[moderator's note: please avoid TOFU but write answers after the question and delete the rest]

Guerbetaler

Am 10.04.2020 um 17:57 schrieb Guerbetaler:
1912 for Bremgarten - Wohlen. This bit was between Bremgarten West
and Wohlen erected by putting a third rail to the existing standard
gauge track, which persisted for freight traffic.
another odd detail: Wohlen - Bremgarten was a formally independent railway company, opening on 1st September 1876. Its two locomotives were built by the SCB workshops Olten as number 26 and 27. The line was operated by the SCB and nationalized in 1902. Still today the right-of-way belongs to SBB, but every ballast stone on it is owned by AVA.

The pictures from the Aargau Verkehr website are really nice. If I have a off day on my next trip I may stop in Bremgarten. Thanks for all your replies!

John

csipromo

I remember looking into this when I saw the WM (Wohlen-Meisterschwanden) Triebwagen that Hag used to offer. That part of Switzerland was one that I had not visited when we lived there, so I was unfamiliar with the railroad. The WM and BD at some point merged to form BDWM (Bremgarten-Dietikon-Wohlen-Meisterschwarden Bahn). The line from Dietikon to Bremgarten was narrow gauge. The line from Wohlen to Meisterschwanden was normal gauge.

At some point in the 1990s, the WM line to (Fahrwangen) Meisterschwanden was abandoned (at Villmergen), the rolling stock initially went to the SOB (2 BDe 4/4 and a single Bt Pilot coach). One BDe 4/4 went to DSF. I am not certain whether the second one was used for parts or went intact elsewhere. The pilot coach remained in use by the SOB as BDt 199 until it's withdrawal.

<http://www.eingestellte-bahnen.ch/23011/23032.html>;

I remember noting the narrow gauge tracks in Dietikon. That was my only actual experience of this railroad.

Mick Sasse

It's an interesting line, even if the 3-rail section at the western end is now no more; Bremgarten looks quite an attractive town (I've only been through it on the train!), with a viaduct over the Reuss - the section on to Dietikon is more "interurban" style light rail, following the line of the (rather serpentine!) road closely and with street-running at the Dietikon end.

Mick

[please delete old message when answering]

Guerbetaler

Am 11.04.2020 um 17:14 schrieb Mick Sasse:
the section on to Dietikon is more "interurban" style light rail
... and so was the rolling stock. But BD was the first of the "interurbans" in Switzerland to switch completely to EMU operation. In 1969 they got 9 articulated railcars, all 8 axles motorized!, which could work in MU. That was quite a change.

It's true that FLP introduced articulated railcars in 1968, and FART even in 1959, but they were not able to MU and had coaches added when required.

Am 11.04.2020 um 16:46 schrieb csipromo via groups.io:
the rolling stock initially went to the SOB (2 BDe 4/4 and a single
Bt Pilot coach). One BDe 4/4 went to DSF. I am not certain whether
the second one was used for parts or went intact elsewhere. The pilot
coach remained in use by the SOB as BDt 199 until it's withdrawal.
BDe 4/4 2 at DSF is the only surviving. 1 was scrapped 2004, the driving trailer in 2014.

<https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAV-Triebwagen>;

But most of the other vehicles are still there.

B 25 and 26
<https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitteleinstiegswagen_(Schweiz,_Normalspur)#Bauart_WM_1948>

Em 2/2 101 and 102
<https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG/BBC_Em_2/2>;