North-south freight train frequency by day of week

George Raymond

I am trying to determine the best day of the week to photograph freight trains in the Basel area. Am I correct in assuming that disregarding holidays and disturbances, the number of trains is normally lowest on weekends and increases from Monday to a peak on Friday? By roughly what percentage does the freight train frequency increase between Monday and Friday? (By 10 percent? By 100 percent?) Is this information visible online somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

George

http://www.avg.com

Guerbetaler

Am 07.07.2020 um 09:55 schrieb George Raymond:
Am I correct in assuming that disregarding holidays and disturbances,
the number of trains is normally lowest on weekends and increases
from Monday to a peak on Friday?
From what I know, the peak is rather on Thursday.

Markus, Gürbetal

davey

I would tend to agree about Thursday.

But every week is different and there can be quiet periods even on days that you expect to be busy.

The good thing about the Basel area is that you can always find a location at any time of the day that has the sun behind you.

I would not worry about which day may be best.....this is not the UK (where missing a freight may mean you miss the only chance of a freight or having intervals of one hour plus between freights).

Dave, Basel

gordonwis

If you are looking to photograph freight trains in the Basel area just go to Pratteln any day of the week (including public holidays) and you will see more than enough freight traffic. Sometimes too many freights come at the same time that you can't photograph all of them.

George Raymond

If you are looking to photograph freight trains in the Basel area just go to Pratteln any day of the week (including public holidays) and you will see more >than enough freight traffic. Sometimes too many freights come at the same time that you can't photograph all of them.
I did go to Pratteln early this fine evening (a Thursday, as Dave and Markus had suggested) and indeed found myself at times running back and forth on the pedestrian overpass to photograph all the freight trains.

Thanks for everyone's help.

George

http://www.avg.com