oldest traction / rolling stock in use on Swiss lines

gordonwis

'Everything' seems to being replaced now with new stock (or cascaded 'modernised' stock such as ex SBB Domino on TPF).

As such what are the oldest things still running in daily service?

If the Les Brenets line is running, I suspect that might be the oldest unit (1950)

I believe La Chaux de Fonds - Ponts de Martel is still using the 'rectangular 1980s design' cars that were delivered to LEB, NStCM etc

What else is there ?

Andrew Moglestue

I can't say what the very oldest equipment is, but some places I would start looking are on the mountain railways, where for example Pilatusbahn and also Rigibahn are getting new equipment so it's a case of hurry up and savour the 1930s trains while you still can.

Maybe the oldest trains still in daily use (or almost) are a handful of funicular cars that are now over 100 years old. For example the Fribourg Neuveville funicular was opened in 1899 and as far as I know the cars used today are the orginals (with some modifications).

On the other hand it makes one feel old to think that on Uetlibergbahn even 1990 trains are now going for scrap.

Robin Jorimann

How about the heritage train between Filisur and Davos which is a summer scheduled public service at normal fares?

Rob Bishop

When I was at the RhB a couple of weeks ago Krokodil 415 (built 1929) was working revenue freight, as was Ge 4/4i 605 (built 1953). Rick Get Outlook for Android ________________________________

Rob Bishop

The Davos - Filisur heritage jobby is usually a Krokodil, and the weekend Rheinschlucht train also usually has heritage traction on it. Despite the Capricorns trying to ruin everything, the RhB is still amazing. Rick

Martin Baumann

Don't forget there are many 1960s Re 4/4 II still running the oldest remaining being 11109 in service since 10.03.1967

csipromo

There are groups like Verein Mirage, DSF (Koblenz) that operate older RBe/BDe 4/4 trainsets on charters and special trips.
As far as I know OeBB (Balsthal) is still running it's RBe 540 and their newly acquired Re 4/4 III 11350.
I am not aware of the particular schedules.

Am 18.05.2022 um 21:56 schrieb csipromo via groups.io:
As far as I know OeBB (Balsthal) is still running it's RBe 540 and their newly acquired Re 4/4 III 11350.
I am not aware of the particular schedules.
Any of the available Re 4/4 II/III jumps in when the SBB-NPZ isn't available. Thus not daily.

Markus

Krist van Besien

On Wed, 18 May 2022 at 07:39, gordonwis via groups.io
<gordonwis@...> wrote:

As such what are the oldest things still running in daily service?
Two candidates:

- The Schynigge Platte railway uses locomotive of which some are over
100 year old. They are in daily service when the line is operating.
- On the WAB the shunters used in Lauterbrunnen are of the same type
as the centenarians on the SPB, but they are a bit younger, hailing
from the 40ies.

The SPB locomotives are at the moment going to keep on chugging along,
but they may be joined by some younger stock from the WAB, as that
line is busy modernising as well. The first two of three new
locomotives have been delivered, and it is possible they will not need
the old shunters in the near future.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@...
krist@...

Andy

Krist wrote: " On the WAB the shunters used in Lauterbrunnen are of the same type as the centenarians on the SPB, but they are a bit younger, hailing from the 40ies. " It is a peculiarity of this language that one has to assume Krist is talking about locomotives and not staff who, one hopes, would have been allowed to retire by now . . . ;^) Andy

gordonwis

Grateful for all the responses.

Perhaps I should have listed the old stuff I already know about from the outset, but I left my initial question completely open because I was interested to get the 'complete' picture.

What has been 'tabled' so far is very interesting, because, so far I have not seen anything mentioned that I didn't already know about (Pilatus, SPB, WAB etc). I wonder if this is because those are the well known ones?

As such what I was really hoping to find out about - the 'less well known' lines is not coming forward.

Andrew Moglestue

I think I did mention Pilatus actually ....

Guerbetaler

Am 20.05.2022 um 00:28 schrieb gordonwis via groups.io:
What has been 'tabled' so far is very interesting, because, so far I
have not seen anything mentioned that I didn't already know about
(Pilatus, SPB, WAB etc). I wonder if this is because those are the
well known ones?
No, this is really because these are the last ones in "daily" service.
Only one was forgotten:

BLM 21-23, 31

There is another category with vehicles older than 50 years still used in regular operation, but not daily. Among them come to mind:
- GGB 3041-42
- RB 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11-14, 18
- TPC-BVB 31-32
- TMR 7, 8, 63, 64, 68
- FART/SSIF 31-35, 21-23
- RhB 602...610, 414, 415, 501
- DFB (!)
- BRB 1...7
- DVZO (of course)
- BC

(historic trains only mentioned if trains are found in timetables)

Am 20.05.2022 um 17:36 schrieb Andrew Moglestue via groups.io:
I think I did mention Pilatus actually ....
Yes, you did. And I realize that my message didn't go away ...
I add what has been mentioned since

50 years and older and in daily service:
  • AB-RhW Rheineck - Walzenhausen railcar 1958
  • BOB-SPB Schynige Platte Bahn locomotives 1910-14
  • PB Pilatusbahn railcars 1937
  • MGB motor luggage vans 51-55 1972
  • TPC-AL railcars 301-302 1966
  • BLM railcars 21-23, 31 1967
  • TRN railcars 3, 5 1950
  • Re 4/4" 1967...

Vehicles older than 50 years still used in regular operation (trains to be found in timetables), but not daily.

  • GGB 3041-42
  • RB 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11-14, 18
  • TPC-BVB 31-32
  • TMR 7, 8, 63, 64, 68
  • FART/SSIF 31-35, 21-23
  • RhB 602...610, 414, 415, 501
  • DFB (!)
  • BRB 1...7
  • DVZO (of course)
  • BC
Markus, G├╝rbetal

gordonwis

A category that may get 'lost' in the search for 'ancient' vehicles is more recent traction units that are still running but are becoming less common as they are replaced by even newer stock , such as the 'ACMV 1980s type' supplied to NStCM and LEB but being replaced by Stadler units