OT: Geltendorf - Lindau electrification

Toma Bacic

Hello all!
Some questions regarding the Geltendorf - Lindau electrification project!
- what was the best travelling time between Zürich and München before the electrification? Which route was used by Zürich and München services - through Memmingen or through Kempten?

Thank you and kind regards
Toma

--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Zagreb

csipromo

Some traffic went through Memmingen and some through Kempten. The new electrification means that all EC trains now go on that route.
There was a pretty elaborate article on Zurich-Munich traffic in Bahn Profil around 2000.

I will try to dig it up.

The electrification and improvements mean that trains can travel faster and this has not only lessened the time, but has allowed for more frequent connections.

Check back later and I will post what I can find.

Chris Lee

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 08:25:25 -0800
"csipromo via groups.io" <csipromo=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Some traffic went through Memmingen and some through Kempten. The new electrification means that all EC trains now go on that route.
There was a pretty elaborate article on Zurich-Munich traffic in Bahn Profil around 2000.
I thought on the first day of operation they screwed up and sent the
first Munich bound train at Hergatz toward the Kempten route and broke
its pantograph (like sometimes on my model layout but without the "god's
hand" to rescue)

https://www.augsburger-allgemeine.de/bayern/Premiere-der-elektrifizierten-Zugstrecke-im-Allgaeu-geht-schief-id58724076.html

--
Photographer Chris <photographer.chris@gmail.com>

Toma Bacic

Thank you!
Btw - the travelling time today is 4:02, but DB and SBB plans to reduce the
travelling time to 3:30. Any info what the next steps in modernization will
be to cut additional 30 minutes?

Thank you and regards
toma

Max Wyss

The key is that switching the signalling system (between Switzerland and Austria) is possible while the train is in motion. This is supposed to be possible with an ETCS software update becoming certified this year.

Because the trains are very tightly tied into the Takt in Germany AND Switzerland, it is not possible to just deal with the 10 or so minutes for a static switch, and delay the trains just by that amount of time. This is the reason why between the arrival in St. Gallen, and the departure from St. Margrethen, the trains at the moment spend half an hour extra (10 minutes for system switch, plus 20 or so just waiting.

Max.

csipromo

There are plans to improve the link between St Margrethen and Lindau so that the trains can move at a faster speed.
There are also some plans to upgrade a few sections along the Bavarian "Allgau" section to allow for faster operation too.

Regarding Chris' comment, my understanding is that the train was routed onto Track 2 at Hergatz station, when only track 1 was equipped with catenary.
It was not a question of the Kempten route.

I was wrong. DB reports that all upgrades on the Lindau-Geltendorf route were complete by December 20, 2020.
There still remains the infrastructure work on the ÖBB section between St. Margrethen and the German border, after which the trains will be able to run at speed on those sections as well. https://www.oebb.at/en/fahrplan/baustelleninformation (Vorarlberg). That would should occur between 04/21 and 06/21.

Am 03.03.2021 um 05:34 schrieb csipromo via groups.io:
Regarding Chris' comment, my understanding is that the train was routed onto Track 2 at Hergatz station, when only track 1 was equipped with catenary.
It was not a question of the Kempten route.
It is a question of the Kempten route and it was the other way round.

The line from Lindau to Memmingen is electrified. The line continuing to Kempten is still without wire. Looking at the track diagram, it was logic only to electrify tracks 2 and 3. There is no possibility to leave Hergatz track 1 in direction of Memmingen. Thus, track 1 can only be used by diesel trains in direction of Kempten (right hand running in Germany). It is still a question, why the train from Zürich via Memmingen to München was directed to Hergatz track 1.

Markus, Gürbetal

reissr@...

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 05:34 AM, csipromo wrote:

Regarding Chris' comment, my understanding is that the train was routed onto Track 2 at Hergatz station, when only track 1 was equipped with catenary. It was not a question of the Kempten route.

This is wrong - the tracks are numbered in the following way:

Track 1 (next to the former station building) without catenary and based on regular traffic: Kempten outbound only
Track 2 (in the mid) with catenary: suitable for Kempten inbound/outbound and Memmingen inbound/outbound
Track 3 (also with catenary): suitable for Memmingen inbound/outbound.

Two electric trans from/to Memmingen can cross on tracks 2 & 3

Regards
Reinhard

csipromo

There are two tracks coming into Hergatz from the southwest. The northern track splits into 2, becoming tracks 2 and 3 in the station, with track 3 continuing as a single track in direction of Memmingen to the northeast. The other two tracks continue in the direction of Kempten. I had interpreted the tracks in an inverted order with track 1 being the one to the north. I apologize and I thank you for clearing that up.

Also from the Junction where Zürich trains now branch off towards Reutin to Lindau Hbf is not yet electrified. This will be done for the December timetable change when Lindau to Friedrichshafen goes live.