Topics

Railway historic staff records

Paul Burkhalter

Here’s a question that combines my two interests, Swiss railways and genealogy!
It is said that my great-grandfather worked for the railway at Le Bouveret VS. This would have been sometime between 1870 and his death in 1912. Would anyone be able to tell me if employment records survive from this period, and where? I have asked SBB Historic but they tell me they do not have staff records.
My French/German is not sufficient to look myself.
Many thanks.

Paul Burkhalter

An update (of sorts). With the help from a Swiss genealogy forum member, I have asked a number of potentially relevant organisations if they have this information. The answer has been ‘no’.
So if historic staff records do exists, then they are very well hidden!
I am still open to suggestions, as SBB Historic have a staff group photo at Le Bouveret with no names, so it would be good to know my relative is one of them.