Re 620 Question

csipromo

I saw this Re 620 photo on Bahnbilder.ch

https://bahnbilder.ch/pictures/original/40107.jpg

Is there something special about the pantograph with the extremities painted yellow?

Thanks

Am 30.03.2021 um 04:25 schrieb csipromo via groups.io:
Is there something special about the pantograph with the extremities
painted yellow?
Yes sir, as far as I can see, they are much yellower than those on other pantographs. :-)

Sorry, I don't know exactly what it is about, but this is what i know:

Swiss prescriptions allow two widths of pantographs: 1320 or 1450 mm. But the latter requires insulated ends to avoid arcing in tunnels. Mostly the insulated part is coloured. It's easy to guess that the yellow part is insulated. But then again, I think yellow is quite unusual for insulated parts. I can't remember having seen such a shining yellow extremity of a pantograph.

Am 30.03.2021 um 20:50 schrieb Guerbetaler:
Swiss prescriptions allow two widths of pantographs: 1320 or 1450 mm.
I couldn't find photos in exactly the same anlge. But similar ones. In the attachment you see
- 11637 in Austria which means 1950 mm (c) Erich Naehrer
- 11605 with what I would think is 1320 mm (c) Heitersberg
- 11676 as posted by Mike with probably 1450 mm (c) *

* Mike please indicate source. Google isn't able to find it.

I noticed the yellow ends on a photo of the Railadventure 11603. The fact that Railadventure locos might go 'anywhere' as compared to a 'normal' SBB Re6/6 might explain why 11603 has 'wider' pantographs.

Guerbetaler

Am 30.03.2021 um 23:22 schrieb gordonwis via groups.io:
The fact that Railadventure locos might go 'anywhere' as compared to
a 'normal' SBB Re6/6
An Re 6/6 with 1450 mm pantograph has no other possibility than an
Re 6/6 with 1320 mm pantograph. Germany and Austria require 1950 mm.

1450 mm pantographs are helpful for motive power able to go to France or Italy. The French 50-Hz-network can be accessed with 1450 mm pantographs but 1600 mm is also possile (for dc lines 1600 mm is the minimum and 1950 mm are possible). In Italy 1450 mm is the standard.

Here is the original page on bahnbilder.ch: https://bahnbilder.ch/picture/40107

Photo credits: David Gubler, 28/03/2021

Photo taken between Bilten and Reichenburg on the Zürich-Sargans-Buchs route

Am 31.03.2021 um 03:45 schrieb csipromo via groups.io:
Here is the original page on bahnbilder.ch
Thank you!

The pantograph blade looks very similar to the one on the Re 6/6 operated by RailAdventure.