RhB, 1 - 5 May

Toma Bacic

Hello!
I am going to visit Bernina, Albula and FIlisur - Davos lines with my 3.5 years old son from 1 to 5 May. The basic plan is to sleep at Tirano, and to explore Bernina line, Filisur area and Filiusur - Davos line. Muottas Muragl is also included!
I noticed that there will be bus substitution services on 2 - 5 May between Poschiavo and Tirano (any info why)!
How to know which Bernina trains have open yellow panorama cars - I think such ride would be fantastic for my kid!
I noticed also that the nostalgic trains from Filisur to Davos starts on May 14... :/ Will it be any other interesting moves in the area during the mentioned time?
Finally - any suggestion for other activities interesting for the small kid in the area are welcome!

Thank you and regards
toma

--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Zagreb

Mick Sasse

Hi, Toma

It may be also worth bearing in mind that, as I understand it, 14 May sees the major timetable change with the wholesale withdrawal of "proper" trains on the Disentis - Chur - Scuol corridor and, I think, also the push-pulls on Pontresina - Scuol. This change will see a massive reduction in loco-hauled working, especially of the Ge 4/4 IIs of the 611 series - a major loss.

So, while I think you're right that you will be too early to catch the regular heritage trains, on the other hand you will be just in time to do the above - which I would very much recommend! (I was there last week and the world was still very much in order on the above routes... but with sidings full of Capricorn units louring threateningly pretty much everywhere from Domat to Landquart!)

Mick

Thomas

Hello Toma,

The open Cabrio coach schedules can be found on https://www.rhb.ch/de/erlebniswelt-bahn/erlebnisfahrten/offene-aussichtswagen

On the Bernina, they only start operating from June 27. During the time of your visit the only train with open coaches will be the Erlebniszug Rheinschlucht on Sunday, May 01, which operates between Landquart, Chur and Ilanz (it only operates Saturdays and Sundays).

There are no historical trains either during your visit, the next historic trains are specials with BB 81 on the Bernina on May 07/08 https://www.historic-rhb.ch/agenda-details/416.html and https://www.historic-rhb.ch/agenda-details/413.html , as well as a steam train out of Landquart on May 08 https://www.rhb.ch/de/erlebniswelt-bahn/dampf-nostalgiefahrten/dampffahrten#info

Best wishes, Thomas.

Gbgen

The Pontresina-Scuol-Tarasp trains will no longer be Ge 4/4 IIs from 14 May, but the RhB lokdienste is still showing the Disentis-Scuol-Tarasp trains as Ge 4/4 II right through to December:-

https://www.rhb.ch/de/unternehmen/fundus-fuer-bahnfreunde/lokdienste

Guerbetaler

Am 28.04.2022 um 08:13 schrieb Gbgen:
The Pontresina-Scuol-Tarasp trains will no longer be Ge 4/4 IIs from
14 May, but the RhB lokdienste is still showing the
Disentis-Scuol-Tarasp trains as Ge 4/4 II right through to
December:-
And why do you think that the lokdienst might be wrong?

Markus

mark h weber

I'd imagine that loco haulage of mixed trains has to continue to Scuol as Capricorn units cant haul freight.

Guerbetaler

Am 28.04.2022 um 09:30 schrieb mark h weber:
I'd imagine that loco haulage of mixed trains has to continue to Scuol as Capricorn units cant haul freight.

The plan is, to bring the STZ to the Engadin, in Summer with an additional driving trailer for bicycles.

Markus

Mick Sasse

Well, I think it it might rather be a reference to the duff gen I posted last week, that the Disentis - Scuoul hauled turns were finishing in May: mea culpa!