RhB : 23401 works passenger special

David Prior

Seen on Instagram from rhb_lokfuehrer :

Or search #gmf44 if you have an Instagram account.

Special train from Landquart to Thusis on 9th June and forward to Bergün on 10th to transport the rescued Misoxer BDe 491 to its new home in the Albula rail museum. The train also carried guests; the post reporting this as a unique event for a Schalke Gmf4/4ii.

And in EN from club1889 :

Guerbetaler

Am 10.06.2021 um 23:16 schrieb David Prior via groups.io:
The train also carried guests; the post reporting this as a unique
event for a Schalke Gmf4/4ii.
I would turn it the other way round. It was an exceptional transport, with a few persons involved in the project, allowed to travel with it.

The Schalke Gmf can't provide heating power, so it's not something you would do in Winter. 491 travelled with open front doors, because two vacuum pipes had be laid through the motor coach. 491 was fitted with an air brake (4 bar) and has no vacuum lines.

photos by Gerorg Trüb
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/774069/
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/774070/

Markus, Gürbetal

Chris Wood

Why did the transfer from Thusis to Bergün have to take place at slow speed and with the overhead line deactivate? (as described in https://club1889.ch/news/detailview/article/86045/eyJlIjoiMTM0MzciLCJpIjpudWxsfQ== )

Guerbetaler

Am 18.06.2021 um 16:30 schrieb Chris Wood via groups.io:
Why did the transfer from Thusis to Bergün have to take place at slow
speed and with the overhead line deactivate?
I couldn't find drawings with measurments but obviously 491 is higher than a Bernina motor coach. The protection bow of the Gem 801-802 is 3820 mm above railhead. 491 was said to be 4000 mm above railhead but in some places the Albula overhead wire would be at 3960 mm.

I'm not sure about these figures but we must believe that 491 is high enough to touch the overhead wire in a few places.

Markus, Gürbetal

Andy

Why did the transfer from Thusis to Bergün have to take place at slow speed and with the overhead line deactivate?
I am sure others will give you the definitive reason but my guess - and it is only that - is that the roof resistors (which are rather higher than anything else which ran on DC and has had to travel on the AC RhB) would have been too close to the lowest sections of the overhead catenary in some of the Albula tunnels. These were built for steam, remember.
When the four ABe I (30-34) were transported to the Arosa, or they or others taken to and from Landquart for repairs or rebuilding, the pantographs were either removed or held down with strapping to give the necessary clearances. But you can't lower resistors, so you either remove them or cut the power and move the thing by diesel. Makes sense to me, but no doubt others will advise you of the facts in due course. . .

Regards, Andy McMillan