Topics

Spiez-Interlaken

Martin Baumann

Stopping trains between Spiez and Interlaken will cease at end of traffic 12.12.2020
FAULENSEE LEISSIGEN DÄRLIGEN stations will all close though the latter two will remain remotely controlled crossing points

Ewan Tait

On 6 Aug 2020, at 20:11, Martin Baumann <martin98baumann@...> wrote:

Stopping trains between Spiez and Interlaken will cease at end of traffic 12.12.2020
FAULENSEE LEISSIGEN DÄRLIGEN stations will all close though the latter two will remain remotely controlled crossing points
Is this to give more capacity for additional non-stop trains or is it
simply because the stations aren’t used by local passengers?

Cheers,
Ewan

--
http://ewan.me.uk

Martin Baumann

Local services in Switzerland are ordered and subsidised by local authorities and they have chosen the bus option.

When both sets on the locals were loco hauled I often did one to Därligen for the other one back (they crossed at Interlaken West) and I don't recall anyone else ever joining or leaving there.

gordonwis

Very sad, but - I agree, never seen much traffic happening.

Therefore I am not surprised at the news, for reasons including:

a) None of them are in the right place for modern tastes (too far to walk, much easier to drive your car or get off the bus at a stop much closer to home.

b) The three places they 'serve' are small villages.

c) Only Leissigen station is next to the village. Faulensee is up the hill in a field (a quick satellite view will show you how green it is around Faulensee station) and Därligen is too far to the East of the village, when the road that a bus can use runs right through the village from West to East.

Guerbetaler

Am 08.08.2020 um 02:02 schrieb gordonwis via groups.io:
Very sad, but - I agree, never seen much traffic happening.
If you want to see traffic, go at commuter's time. In fact there was
quite some local opposition, especially because there are doubts about
the reliability of a bus service due to traffic jams.

b) The three places they 'serve' are small villages.
not too small, but regional traffic doesn't connect the larger cities
with each others. Regional traffic connects the small villages to the
larger cities!

c) Only Leissigen station is next to the village. Faulensee is up the
hill in a field (a quick satellite view will show you how green it is
around Faulensee station) and Därligen is too far to the East of the
village, when the road that a bus can use runs right through the
village from West to East.
Faulensee was only partly served. For Därligen there was a proposition by BLSN to move the plattform to a better place.

However, the region and the canton decided that there will be a bus. Problem is, should one see that traffic jams really hinder the bus, returning to rail will be expensive. The platforms will be removed as works are due for both Lessigen and Därligen.

On Wednesday, 19 August 2020, 00:30:29 BST, Guerbetaler <guerbetaler@...> wrote:
However, the region and the canton decided that there will be a bus.
Problem is, should one see that traffic jams really hinder the bus,
returning to rail will be expensive. The platforms will be removed as
works are due for both Lessigen and Därligen.

I take your points but I don't think that really amounts to a compelling argument against the bus option. (And I say this as someone who very certainly prefers trains to buses but I am also a demographer / logistician and can understand the logic of buses in certain situations. and I also realise that regional traffic connects villages to cities...)

In another place I know in Switzerland where bus and train run along the same route you see lots of people using the bus in preference to the train as it stops closer to their residence (and maybe the fare is cheaper).

Of course a proportion of locals are going to argue against such a change, and they will obviously look for reasons to use to back up their claim and traffic jams is an easy one to pick. I can image there might be a traffic jam every so often, but along most of the route the through traffic is on the ausbaustrecke road, presumably not the road the bus would use.

The villages are small (with about 60% pop of 'working age') - Därligen apparently c430 at last count, Leissigen about 1000 in total (1/6 the size of Schwarzenburg...)

Guerbetaler

Am 19.08.2020 um 13:41 schrieb gordonwis via groups.io:
The villages are small (with about 60% pop of 'working age') -
Därligen apparently c430 at last count, Leissigen about 1000 in total
(1/6 the size of Schwarzenburg...)
Along the line La Chaux-de-Fonds - Les Ponts-de-Martel you will find, aapart from the city, two municipalities with 1200 and 1000 inhabitants. They not only have regional trains, there is even a railway line maintained for this. Other examples of the same size will be found.

Markus, Gürbetal