Stadler Rail in the U.S.

Guerbetaler

Tomorrow, May 20, 2021, the Manitou and Pike's Peak Railway will reopen after a complete reuild and renewal. The Abt rack was replaced with Strub rack. Stadler has delivered thre trains, consisting of a de rack locomotive, two cars and a drving trailer. The locomotives carry the designation "Hm 4/4 27", 28 and 29. A complete train s formed of e.g. 27-27B-27C-27A. (Don't try to find a logic in it.)

At the same time, Zaugg of Eggiwil, who's main shareholder is the same man as the main shareholder of Stadler ;-), delivered a snow blower number 30. The snow blower is quipeed as driving trailer for a Hm 4/4.

Interesting that MPRR returns to diesel-electric after the four diesel-hydraulic double railcars 18-19 (SLM 5046-47/1975), 24 (SLM 5275/1983) and 25 (SLM 518/1988). These railcars have been rebuilt with Strub cogwheels.

https://www.facebook.com/PikesPeakCogRailway/photos/10160746544036978

https://www.eurokommunal.com/neu-zahnradbahn-schneefraesschleuder-von-zaugg-auf-4300-m-ue-m/

Markus, Gürbetal

George Raymond

Thanks for this news, Markus.

Too bad the line wasn't able to electrify and serve a showcase for corresponding Swiss know-how. One problem would have been finding and paying a company to do catenary maintenance. Perhaps synergies would have been possible with the 64 km of electrified light-rail lines in Denver, 160 km to the north, or with the 53-km Deseret coal line 530 km to the northwest. But that's not much to build on.

George

http://www.avg.com

Martin Baumann

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 08:45 AM, George Raymond wrote:

electrify and serve a showcase for corresponding Swiss know-how
San Francisco to Tamien via San Jose is currently being electrified and Stadler are building 19 7 car versions of the SBB 511 EMU (RVD) for the line. Stadler have opened a plant in Salt Lake City for North American contracts where the trains will be built but at least some of the body shells have been built in Altenrhein and shipped to the USA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrification_of_Caltrain

https://railcolornews.com/2020/10/02/us-may-the-tests-begin-the-stadler-kiss-for-caltrain-is-out/

Max Wyss

One of the new trains is already in Pueblo for testing and commissioning. The Caltrain website has some videos from there.

Max.

csipromo

The contract called for final assembly to be in the USA, so the trains are being assembled in the USA with parts made by Stadler in Switzerland, Poland and USA.
I had been hoping that Stadler would be among the contenders for the Montreal REM train system. Kiss or Flirt type trainsets could have been operated using the existing rails, tunnel and stations. Especially seeing how the Caltrains design have doors for both raised and ground level platforms.
Instead, they chose a model derived from the Alstom Metropolitan series, which IMHO has not been proven in a climate like Montreal's.

Ken Fischer

On May 19, 2021 at 3:30:37 PM, Guerbetaler (guerbetaler@sunrise.ch) wrote:
Tomorrow, May 20, 2021, the Manitou and Pike's Peak Railway will reopen
Thanks for sending this info, and the links to the articles.  I live about 60 minutes drive from the base of this cog-railway; I did not know they were rebuilding it.

The snow cutter/blower looks very interesting.  I will need to make a trip to ride the train this summer.

Ken

Guerbetaler

Am 03.06.2021 um 06:28 schrieb Ken Fischer via groups.io:
I will need to make a trip to ride the train this summer.
We look forward to seeing your photos ;-)

Markus