Swiss Companies in the free market

Giger-Baumann <giger.baumann@...>

On January 1st, 1999 open access to the Swiss rail network was introduced. For the German network this was done even earlier. But until now, a Swiss company can not go to Germany and a German company can not come to Switzerland. Except...

Mittelthurgaubahn (MThB) founded a German firm called "Mittelthurgaubahn Deutschland GmbH" and thus became a German railway company. No problem now to run on either side of the Rhine.

BLS Lötschbergbahn signed an agreement with DB and did not feel it was necessary to do it alike. Not much of this cooperation with DB is visible until now. But within Switzerland, BLS competes with SBB on the freight market. It was said, that form mid-february BLS would run its own freight trains on the Gotthard line.

On the other hand, BLS also cooperates with SBB for Post-transports and for a new piggy-back-relation Freiburg i.Br. (D) - Lötschberg - Novara (I). And in the passenger sector, the old type of cooperation continues. This means, a BLS passenger train in Basel is - in legal terms - an SBB train.

SBB itself found its way to Germany. As SBB can not go there on its own, a cooperation with BASF started. Now engineers from SBB drive the new BASF Electrics (145 CL 001 and 002) from Basel to Ludwigshafen. SBB said, they wanted to fit some of their own locomotives to run over German rails, fitting Indusi, LZB, radio and an adapted pantograph.

Looking south, SBB just signed a joint-venture agreement with FS to build up Cargo Svizzera - Italiana (CSI), an Italian firm. If you change two letters you get CIS, the initials (reporting marks) for Cisalpino (owner of 9 Pendolino ETR 470 tilting trains), a Swiss firm on which FS holds 50% and SBB together with BLS and some cantons 50%.

Markus Giger

Keith Ballinger <kballinger@...>

I have heard rumours of some merger between the MThB, SOB, and BT. Is there any truth to this? Also, I believe that the MThB now runs regularly on BT tracks - which route is this on?

Regards,
Keith Ballinger
NEPEAN, Ontario, CANADA

E-mail: kballinger@...

[...]

Community email addresses:
  Post message: SwissRail@...
  Subscribe:    SwissRail-subscribe@...
Shortcut URL to community homepage (archiv, settings etc.):
  http://www.onelist.com/community/SwissRail

Giger-Baumann <giger.baumann@...>

A little administrative thing: Please do not repeat the whole message you are answering on or asking on. Just take the important part and delete the rest. Otherwise we would have each message twice or even more times in the archive.  http://www.onelist.com/messages/SwissRail

Keith Ballinger asked:
I have heard rumours of some merger between the MThB, SOB, and BT. Is there any truth to this? Also, I believe that the MThB now runs regularly on BT tracks - which route is this on?

It is not yet time for mergers. But changes will eventually take place. Before, the Confederation and the cantons will have to define their position as owners (together they mostly keep around 90% of stock, this is true for MThB, SOB and BT). In the discussion about BLS, it was said, that the Confederation is not willing to procure risk capital for freight and passenger transport. On the other hand, the Confederation paid most of the investments made on BLS in the past 30 years or so. Thus, BLS infrastructure (assets, not day-to-day operations) should be brought into a separate corporation. There could be a similar solution proposed for MThB, SOB and BT. Answers are not to be given before next year.

New MThB "GTW 2/6" (ABe 2/6) trains for the "Seelinie" are on contractual basis maintained in Herisau by BT. As most MThB rolling stock is fitted with german pantographs, they must not go further than Herisau, clearance in tunnels not being sufficient. The MThB trains run through from Schaffhausen - Kreuzlingen to St. Gallen - Herisau, BT push-pull-compositions doing the same in the other direction. So it is a cooperation, each railway company keeping its responsability as it was before. But passengers do not have to change in Romanshorn, where MThB and BT meet.  http://www.bt-bahn.ch/geografie.html

Markus Giger

Keith Ballinger <kballinger@...>

 Snip......

New MThB "GTW 2/6" (ABe 2/6) trains for the "Seelinie" are on contractual basis maintained in Herisau by BT. As most MThB rolling stock is fitted with german pantographs, they must not go further than Herisau, clearance in tunnels not being sufficient. The MThB trains run through from Schaffhausen - Kreuzlingen to St. Gallen - Herisau, BT push-pull-compositions doing the same in the other direction. So it is a cooperation, each railway company keeping its responsability as it was before. But passengers do not have to change in Romanshorn, where MThB and BT meet.  http://www.bt-bahn.ch/geografie.html

Unsnip.........

I thought the GTW 2/6 on "Seelinie" was the Stadler diesel unit. I remember one being in St. Gallen for the celebrations in 1997. Is there an electric version running to Herisau? Do the RBDe 4/4's from MThB run on this service too - or do you know where they run? (I assume this is a relatively recent change in the service since I do not recall seing MThB units in Herisau when I was there 1996-7.)

(Sorry about not deleting the duplicate text in the previous message - my oversight!)

Regards,
Keith Ballinger
NEPEAN, Ontario, CANADA

E-mail: kballinger@...

Giger-Baumann <giger.baumann@...>

Keith asked:
I thought the GTW 2/6 on "Seelinie" was the Stadler diesel unit. I remember one being in St. Gallen for the celebrations in 1997. Is there an electric version running to Herisau? Do the RBDe 4/4's from MThB run on this service too - or do you know where they run? (I assume this is a relatively recent change in the service since I do not recall seing MThB units in Herisau when I was there 1996-7.)

For use on the formerly SBB-operated "Seelinie" MThB bought in 1998/99 10 electric GTW 2/6 RABe 2/6 526 680 - 689 together with 4 driving trailers 29-35 221 - 224.

The 3 diesel GTW 2/6 Bm 2/6 596 571 - 573 of 1996/97 are used on the non-electrified german "Seehäsle" line Radolfzell - Stockach which was reopened to passenger traffic with the help of regional subsidies.

The 4 RBDe 4/4 566 631 - 634 of 1994 (identical with SBB 560) run, together with the 6 ABDe 536 611 - 616 of 1965/66, the "Seehas" Weinfelden - Konstanz - Singen - Engen. Between Konstanz and Engen this is a DB-service, MThB running on a contractual basis.

GTW 2/6 exist in a nearly unbelievable variety (delivered or under construction):

Country, number built/to be built, railway company, numbers if known, (year of delivery), gauge, other remarks
Diesel units (all German units are standard gauge):
Germany   3 MThB 596 571-573 (1996/97) Radolfzell - Stockach
Germany 14 UBB Usedomer Bäderbahn
Germany 30 DB  646 001-030, for Brandenburg
Germany 12 DB  646 ..., for Magdeburg
Germany   3 HLB VT  101-103  (1998, without 1st class, with toilets)
Germany 12 HLB VT  104-115 (1999, without 1st class nor toilets)
Germany  3 HLB 508 116-118 (1999, with 1st class and toilets)
Germany 12 HLB VT  119-130 (1999...) Hessische Landesbahn
Greece 17 OSE 1000mm narrow gauge
Greece 12 OSE 1435mm
USA 20 NJT Trenton - Camden 1435mm

Electric units:
Switzerland 10 MThB 526 680-689 (1998/99) 1435mm 15kV 16.7Hz a.c.
Austria 8 StH/LILO 22.151-158 (2000) 1435mm 800V d.c. (and 15kV 16.7Hz a.c. for 22.151)
Switzerland 7 ASM (ex BTI) Be 2/6 501-507 (1997) 1000mm 1200V d.c., 1 additional traction unit 5080
Switzerland 3 CEV Be 2/6 7001-7004 (1997/98) 1000mm 850V d.c., also in use on MOB
Cesko 14 ZSR 425 96.. (2000...) 1000mm 1500V d.c., Tatra railway
Switzerland 4 CJ ... 1000mm 1500V d.c., Chemin de fer du Jura
Switzerland 2 YSC ... 1000mm 15kV 16.7Hz a.c., Yverdon - Ste-Croix

So there are for each standard and narrow gauge: diesel, a.c. and d.c. trains.

Markus Giger