SZU Expansion Plans

Martin Baumann

By 2028 SZU want to run every 15 minutes off peak and every 7 1/2 minutes at peak times on the Sihltal LIne. This will require doubling three sections including Brunau to Manegg. Research has shown that passenger boarding and alighting on the line will be faster using single deck stock therefore SZU intend to buy a series of 6 car EMU which will replace all current double deckers and locomotives.

German article at https://www.zsz.ch/neue-zuege-neue-bahnhoefe-so-veraendert-sich-die-szu-148089080615 free registration needed to read it

Toma Bacic

Any info which sections of the lines will be doubled (apart of Brunau to Manegg)? regards toma

Martin Baumann

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 07:38 PM, Toma Bacic wrote:

Any info which sections of the lines will be doubled (apart of Brunau to
Manegg)? regards toma
More details in German in this pdf on the SZU website: https://www.szu.ch/fileadmin/PDFs/E_1_Unternehmensportrait/Strategie_SZU/Strategiebroschuere_final_lowres.pdf

Krist van Besien

I've always wondered why the SZU isn't just converted to a metro line (which it realy is...).

Krist

Martin Baumann wrote on 4/10/21 16:32:

By 2028 SZU want to run every 15 minutes off peak and every 7 1/2 minutes at peak times on the Sihltal LIne. This will require doubling three sections including Brunau to Manegg. Research has shown that passenger boarding and alighting on the line will be faster using single deck stock therefore SZU intend to buy a series of 6 car EMU which will replace all current double deckers and locomotives.

German article at https://www.zsz.ch/neue-zuege-neue-bahnhoefe-so-veraendert-sich-die-szu-148089080615  free registration needed to read it

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28920): https://SwissRail.groups.io/g/main/message/28920
-=-=-

--
Vriendelijke Groet | Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement
Krist van Besien krist.vanbesien@... +41 79 5936260

Guerbetaler

Am 29.10.2021 um 11:13 schrieb Krist van Besien:
I've always wondered why the SZU isn't just converted to a metro line (which it realy is...).
And what would be the advantage to have a third system in Zürich? Zürich voted against a Metro and this is why everything developed either towards tram (even the Schwamendingen tunnel, which had been started as a first step of the Metro!) or then towards S-Bahn. So it's logical that SZU develops towards S-Bahn standards and switching to ac on the Uetliberg line.

Markus

Max Wyss

To some extent, SZU does evolve towards a metro style line (getting rid of loco-hauled trains with bi-levels and mostly non-level boarding). It does get into an area where U-Bahn and S-Bahn converge, and it is just a naming issue. And with their target 2026, HB - Giesshübel has a train every 4 or so minutes at peak; that's more a U-Bahn…

Max.

Krist van Besien

Guerbetaler via groups.io wrote on 29/10/21 12:37:
Am 29.10.2021 um 11:13 schrieb Krist van Besien:
I've always wondered why the SZU isn't just converted to a metro line (which it realy is...).
And what would be the advantage to have a third system in Zürich? Zürich voted against a Metro and this is why everything developed either towards tram (even the Schwamendingen tunnel, which had been started as a first step of the Metro!) or then towards S-Bahn. So it's logical that SZU develops towards S-Bahn standards and switching to ac on the Uetliberg line.
This is not about a third system. You can perfectly run a metro using AC overhead wire. And it looks like the system will indeed become very metro-like.

--

Am 29.10.2021 um 13:15 schrieb Krist van Besien:
This is not about a third system. You can perfectly run a metro using AC overhead wire. And it looks like the system will indeed become very metro-like.
ok. But then again, what would the word change? Sorry, can't get your point.

I wonder what it would have taken to extend the Sihltalbahn east of Sihlbrugg to connect with the SOB line at Schindellegi and offer a new connection from Zurich to Einsiedeln.

I know that the cantons are shareholders in railways like SOB and St. Gallen and Schwyz might have limited interest in improving transit in Zurich, but it always seemed more logical to me that SZU and SOB would interconnect and that VHB (and possibly EBT/SMB) would have joined SOB rather than BLS.

The future might actually see a combination of SOB, SZU and BLS to create a national rival to SBB, but as I said, they would have to overcome cantonal interests for this to become reality.

Am 29.10.2021 um 22:32 schrieb csipromo via groups.io:
I wonder what it would have taken to extend the Sihltalbahn east of Sihlbrugg to connect with the SOB line at Schindellegi and offer a new connection from Zurich to Einsiedeln.
Zürich HB - Sihlbrugg takes 30 min,. whether you go via Sihltal or via Thalwil. It's half an hour. Today's timetable allows to reach Schindellegi-Feusisberg within 31 min. You can offer fast trains with fewer stops. But you can do the same via Wädenswil and it would still be faster. So, who might want to travel via Sihlbrugg to Einsiedeln?

Markus