Topics

Zentralbahn take over the MIB (KWO)

stephenhorobin

After talks between the two companies it has been agreed that Zentralbahn will take over the running of the railway from the 1st January 2021. The KWO which owns the railway were wanting to off load the railway due to rising cost and regulatory requirements.

https://www.bahnonline.ch/1960/zentralbahn-und-kwo-verhandeln-ueber-verkauf-der-mib/

Steve

George Raymond

Among the tourists who ride the Zentralbahn between Interlaken and Luzern, I imagine that very few stop in Meiringen for the side trip to Innertkirchen. Maybe this merger will make marketing the line easier.

George

http://www.avg.com

Max Wyss

Actually, the MIB can be very busy. Remember, it serves the Aare Gorge, which is not accessible by car.

There are talks that after the re-electrification, they can continue the Interlaken - Meiringen local (which currently stays in Meiringen for a good 40 minutes.

Guerbetaler

Am 19.09.2020 um 10:47 schrieb stephenhorobin via groups.io:
After talks between the two companies it has been agreed that
Zentralbahn will take over the running of the railway from the 1st
January 2021
In fact Zentralbahn (zb) will buy the assets from KWO (Kraftwerke Oberhasli) and the MIB will thus become a normal part of zb. MIB had been constructed as an industrial siding in 1926 and only became a public railway in 1946. It had only become more important in recent years with the opening of additional stops in the Aareschlucht and the adaptation of the bus timetables, connecting in Innertkirchen instead of Meiringen.

Background for the change is that the person in charge for the MIB left KWO and is now responsible for the rolling stock of the Jungfraubahnen.

KWO will continue to keep the concesssions for several cable transports, among them the famous Handegg - Gelmer funicular with grades of up to 105%.

I would presume that the eventual offering will include that the regional trains that were running between Interlaken Ost and Meiringen will now be extended to Innertkirchen.
I presume that passengers coming from Luzern (Bruenig) who wish to travel to Innertkirchen will still have to change trains at Meiringen.
In order for the Grimsel base tunnel project to come to fruition, the incorporation of this segment of the route is an essential piece of the new network, which will eventually connect the Golden Pass route to the Glacier Express and the Matterhorn-Gotthard Railway.
Does anybody have any information on latest developments with this project. Most of my info dates back to discussions with friends in the Brienz area in summer 2019.

Mick Sasse

... and maybe pave the way for the long-talked-about extension on over the Grimsel pass.

Remember by the way that the ZB and MIB are currently different voltages, mind, so either dual-system or conversion will be needed to run through Interlaken - Innertkirchen.

Guerbetaler

zb will study the necessary adaptations to feed the MIB catenary with 15 kV. It is hoped that this can be done with normal maintenance and without high costs. Nevertheless it will take some years to realise it. Thus the recently purchased ex-MVR-GTW will continue to serve the line.

A possible Grimsel railway would also require a change of voltage. But the Grimsel project is still far away. It hasn't been included in the 2035 extension investments (STEP 2035).

On Saturday, 19 September 2020, 15:50:26 BST, George Raymond <geor@...> wrote:
Among the tourists who ride the Zentralbahn between Interlaken and Luzern, I imagine that very few stop in Meiringen for the side trip to Innertkirchen. Maybe this merger will make marketing the line easier.
George, a few years ago I would have agreed with you but watching another Swiss travel forum frequented by overseas visitors proves that Aareschlucht is one of the top requests (and so is Gelmerbahn in fact), so the area is not the 'back of beyond' it once was for long haul tourists.

stephenhorobin

I have an album on Flickr of Helvetia Charters tour to the KWO power station in 2009.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/22097570@N05/albums/72157617254409503
Steve.

Bill Bolton

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 00:58:01 -0700, Steve wrote:

I have an album on Flickr of Helvetia Charters tour to the
KWO power station in 2009.
Thanks Steve, that is very interesting!

Cheers,

Bill